Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Veteran's Day Remembrance

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Default Veteran's Day Remembrance

On this day of recognizing our Veterans for their service, had me wondering amongst vintage and modern war fighting machines man created as instruments of death and destruction. Free to the public had me reflecting on why such cold even menacing instruments of war attracted such a wide array of population. The other oddity was I realized the huge number of civilians in attendance! People one would think would never attend such events on this Veterans Day.

It still does not seem that long ago my being a brand spankin’ new E nothing recruit flying in from Fort Ord California for weekend furlough wearing my summer Class A uniform. As a striking fine looking Youngman yours truly was… found me tripping over myself in total frightened confusion as I found myself surrounded by Vietnam anti-war protesters awaiting those in uniform flying in from across the big pond. Such large numbers as it were, even those recovering from wounds wrapped in bandages limping on crutches some in wheelchairs soon organized into columns of two once all realized such a large mass of human citizenry awaited attempting to block even mob troops disembarking shouting obscenities--spitted out their hatred towards the American Servicemen found me in complete confusion towards the whole conflict in general. Being from another domestic flight had me exiting into a terminal loaded with Moonies in their robes as well as numerous anti-war protesters whom suddenly attempted to swarm me when out of the blue an Infantry squad of returning soldiers broke through scattering and pushing away the small group obstructing my movement even throwing trash on me.

The chaos that followed an observant Staff Sergeant instructed me to fall in with them and to stay close that we’ll all get out of here together along with all wounded… columns of two I amongst these decorated combat veterans marched their last march as a unit, with great relief, even I believe certain pride, their last march that day. To this very day I cannot march in any veteran’s parade, because that shameful event will forever live in my soul till the day I die. It just brings back such hard to get over memories of a Nation whom over time lost their way.

All… While I was trying to find my way, at the young age of 17.

<<<GB>>>