Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Help! 07 Mini R56 BC Racing Coilover Thunking Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Default Help! 07 Mini R56 BC Racing Coilover Thunking Sound.

Hey everyone!

I could use a little help diagnosing this problem. I have expended all of my knowledge, spent a lot of hours googling and browsing forums, and spent a lot of time poking around underneath my car to absolutely no avail.

The story:

After properly installing a brand new set of BC Racing BR coil overs with Swift springs, I now have a loud thunk/clunk/thud noise in the rear passenger corner. The sound is loudest over small road imperfections. Its' actually a little strange- big pot holes (when I fail to avoid them) don't seem to make the sound as loudly as rough road or even crossing over thick crosswalk line paint.

The sound is loud. Its not a click or a pop. As I said earlier, its more in the "thud" category. Big, a little boomy, almost like a block of wood being dropped into a truck bed. The sound is consistent regardless of speed or cornering direction. It is loud even at a very slow crawl.

I have tried everything that I could possibly think of. I have triple checked my installation... everything is tight and in place. My sway bar end links are tight and in good condition. The car isn't so low that the tire is hitting the fender liner (that was my original thought). I have done multiple tests at multiple ride heights.

As far as I can tell, there isn't anything wrong with the load on the springs. No sloppiness in the springs when under load.

I purchased my coil overs directly from BC racing. I have recently reached out to them and haven't heard anything back yet (probably because it's the weekend).

I have been driving on them for about 6 months. As I said before, I thought my car was just a little too low and was bouncing into the fender liner. When the noise first came up I got under the car and banged around on some things to replicated the sound, and the result I got from banging on the fender liner satisfied my then minor gripe. I have since eliminated that as a possibility and have become extremely frustrated with this thud.

I'm a hardcore perfectionist when it comes to my car, so I want to silence this annoyance.

Please, if you have any ideas or suggestions I would REALLY love to hear them.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate all contributions greatly!

Old 08-12-2021, 10:46 AM

Hello buddy
I happen to have the same problem, I purchased a set of maxpeedrods coilovers. at first, I thought it was cause they are the lower-priced items on the market. so I ordered a new set of the same coilovers, but they made the same loud thunking sound on the rear. I've tried everything, How did you fix the problem? any feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2021, 04:23 AM

Hi as the new parts are installed correctly with torque settings.have you looked at the bottom suspension bushes,may have become soft/brittle over time,hence the new noise with the suspension upgrade,look at replacing them with new silicone items,better than the factory rubber bushes