Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Got a new wheel setup, or questions on the best brakes? This is your section!

Tires wearing unevenly

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 PM
ION
Default Tires wearing unevenly

At 20K miles I noticed an increasing vibration and noise. When I checked the tires I noticed that they are almost worn out on the inside edge, but with 1/4" over the wear bar on the outside edge. Dealer says I must replace the 16" Dunlop 5000 runflat tires at $245 each due to uneven wear. Ouch! Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Default RE: Tires wearing unevenly

I recently bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S and having multiple instances of the tire trouble light coming on. I check the tire pressure on all 4 tires but reset procedure doesn't seem to "stick". I can see how the tires could wear unevenly if you are not on top of the pressure differentials, it seems that you have to keep the correct tire pressure at all times on these tires.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Default RE: Tires wearing unevenly

I would have to say ION's problem is probably too much negative camber and/or too much toe out.

As for your tire sensor light, it goes on speed differentials (a flat tire will have to spin faster to keep up)so if you're driving on uneven pavement or peeling out or anything like that it can be set off.