07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 mini not shifting into 4th

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Default 2007 mini not shifting into 4th

I recently got a 2007 MC base a little over a month ago with 122K miles. The transmission shifted great through all gears using D, DS and manual mode. There was no flares and no indication of slippage in any of the gears. About 3 weeks into it, I began noticing a slight "flare" occurring when it shifted from 3rd to 4th. I would compensate the shift by letting off the gas a little to allow it to shift into 4th. After 4th gear...5th and 6th were still fine. I started to only use DS mode as I was able to "feel" it go into 4th and better control it. I then proceeded to do my first fluid change (3 quarts came poring out right away as there was no overflow pipe installed). Of course the fluid was brown and appeared to be burnt? (the smell was about the same as the new stuff?). I checked for any metallic particles and found none. Slightly after this, I noticed that the shifting became worse from 3rd to 4th, as it appeared to be "slipping" more and going to higher Revs. Now, after a second fluid swap (getting close to flushing out the old), it is not even going into 4th. The engine light kicked on, which finally gave me a code of P0734 (Gear 4 incorrect Ratio) and of course, it landed in safe mode M4 or M3. I have been researching all the threads and video's out there to try and determine if it is the following:

1. Solenoid issue
2. Electrical related to the Solenoids
3. Valve body
4. and of course, the K2 clutch pack
5. ???

I am at a crossroads right now and don't know if sending it in to have a diagnostic is going to tell me anything without dropping the pan?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciative as I am going cross-eyed trying to figure this out, and of course want to limit the amount of money going into fixing as I have no problem going to pick and pull to get another low mileage and swapping it myself.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Noahl
I recently got a 2007 MC base a little over a month ago with 122K miles. The transmission shifted great through all gears using D, DS and manual mode. There was no flares and no indication of slippage in any of the gears. About 3 weeks into it, I began noticing a slight "flare" occurring when it shifted from 3rd to 4th. I would compensate the shift by letting off the gas a little to allow it to shift into 4th. After 4th gear...5th and 6th were still fine. I started to only use DS mode as I was able to "feel" it go into 4th and better control it. I then proceeded to do my first fluid change (3 quarts came poring out right away as there was no overflow pipe installed). Of course the fluid was brown and appeared to be burnt? (the smell was about the same as the new stuff?). I checked for any metallic particles and found none. Slightly after this, I noticed that the shifting became worse from 3rd to 4th, as it appeared to be "slipping" more and going to higher Revs. Now, after a second fluid swap (getting close to flushing out the old), it is not even going into 4th. The engine light kicked on, which finally gave me a code of P0734 (Gear 4 incorrect Ratio) and of course, it landed in safe mode M4 or M3. I have been researching all the threads and video's out there to try and determine if it is the following:

1. Solenoid issue
2. Electrical related to the Solenoids
3. Valve body
4. and of course, the K2 clutch pack
5. ???

I am at a crossroads right now and don't know if sending it in to have a diagnostic is going to tell me anything without dropping the pan?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciative as I am going cross-eyed trying to figure this out, and of course want to limit the amount of money going into fixing as I have no problem going to pick and pull to get another low mileage and swapping it myself.
Hi Noahl......my wife and I are having the same problem with our 06 S. Exactly the same!!!!! I know your post is old and apparently no one on here was any help since no one responded. Did you ever find a solution?? We would appreciate a response please!

Thanks, Bill

Old 06-22-2023, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy's Charlotte
Hi Noahl......my wife and I are having the same problem with our 06 S. Exactly the same!!!!! I know your post is old and apparently no one on here was any help since no one responded. Did you ever find a solution?? We would appreciate a response please!

Thanks, Bill
Did you find out what the problem was??

Old 06-22-2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nik Gour
Did you find out what the problem was??
No. The transmission got worse to the point it would downshift to first while she was driving along IN ANY GEAR!!! It was so violent she would almost lose control of the car!!!
One time she was going along in 4th or 5th and it went to 1st. It almost literally threw her into the windshield. If shifting manually (its an automatic) you could "creep" around town 25-30 miles an hour. But no faster as it would still downshift to 1st!!
The car was totally dangerous for her to operate. That transmission was a complete piece of ****!
A friend of mine owned a car dealership. Knowing the history, he let us trade it in for a 2002 Mercedes SLK 320. GREAT car!!!!!!!

The Mini went to auction with notes about it's situation.

Anyone who has this tranny would do well to either get rid of the car or put another tranny in it. NO ONE CAN OR WILL WORK ON THOSE TRANSMISSIONS.
Parts are not available, and no one has any knowledge of how to fix them. I know, I scoured the country.