2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue - Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums > Mini Cooper Vehicles > 07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Reload this Page >

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Old 03-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Default 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Hi,

I'm considering pursuing another class action lawsuit against BMW regarding those MINI owners who were left out of the Skeen Vs. BMW suit. I know there are a LOT of people out there who have been treated very unfairly by both MINI USA and their local MINI dealerships. In extreme cases, people have been left with parts cars because the cost of repairing a damaged or completely destroyed engine exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle. If this has legs and if you or someone you know would like to be added to the list of plaintiffs, please let me know here first. I'm thinking about setting up a gmail address so that you can send me a brief account of what happened to you and what the repair bill was. Again, this might not have legs, so there's no point in setting up a gmail address at this time. We are in the very preliminary stages of this

Sincerely,
Bigdork

Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Hi there, I have a 2009 Mini Cooper R57, that was one of the cars involved in the class action lawsuit which I purchased June 13th 2016. I was never notified about it via mail, and the dealer gave no knowledge of it. The engine has completely been destroyed, because of the time chain tensioner. We have been in contact with Mini, and we have it at a dealership currently. They want us to cough up $1600 to have the engine completely taken apart to make sure that's the issue, even though 2 different mechanics relayed to Mini that it was indeed the issue. Mini stated that even if it was the issue, they will only cover SOME of the repairs. It's under 100,000 miles. Unsure what to do, and saw your post. This all happened this past week. Any idea what I should do?

Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM

This is a tough one. I think your R57 is subject to the statute of limitations for the Skeen Vs. BMW NA. The deadline to submit a claim form was June 20, 2016. I'm not a lawyer, but you may have a case against the dealership that sold you the car. It may be fraud. I'd speak to a lawyer and see if it's worth filing in small claims court. Hope things work out for you.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ocean View Post
Hi there, I have a 2009 Mini Cooper R57, that was one of the cars involved in the class action lawsuit which I purchased June 13th 2016. I was never notified about it via mail, and the dealer gave no knowledge of it. The engine has completely been destroyed, because of the time chain tensioner. We have been in contact with Mini, and we have it at a dealership currently. They want us to cough up $1600 to have the engine completely taken apart to make sure that's the issue, even though 2 different mechanics relayed to Mini that it was indeed the issue. Mini stated that even if it was the issue, they will only cover SOME of the repairs. It's under 100,000 miles. Unsure what to do, and saw your post. This all happened this past week. Any idea what I should do?
I purchased my car in April 2017 and About 6 weeks ago, my 2009 mini Cooper s started violently shaking and soon after there was a rattling nice from a cold start. I took it to mini and was told that it was due to low oil (I had taken it in for oil change a week prior only to be told it should be done every 15k miles and I had taking it in at 5k miles so it was not due for another six months according to the dealership). I reminded them that I had brought it in a week before, why had they not fine the service. Long story short, it turns out it was a timing chain issue and I was on the hook for $3k. I called mini cooper/BMW and was on the phone with them for almost 2 hours and they told me I was on my own and there's was nothing they could do. I eventually told them I was going to find everyone online with a 2009 model and start multiple social media accounts alerting everyone about the mini quality and they budged and paid for the entire repair. The entire pop process took almost a month of me calling and nagging for them to pay. Don't give up until they pay for the entire cost

Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM

I have a 2010 hardtop with the same issue at only 70,000 miles. They won't even repair the timing chain. They offered me $2500 towards a trade in at their dealership, which is basically nothing to them or to me. I had just paid it off and thought I would have a car with no payments for 5 years. That was my plan and not an unreasonable one. Cars should last at least 150,000 miles. I have talked with BMW USA and with the dealership, that's all they're giving me. I know it's more than some are getting. This problem is rampant. I have already contacted a law firm that does class actions. I'll update.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:27 AM

I also have a 2010 Hard Top with 67K on it. I was driving and the Car just lost power and died. The Mini Dealership said I need a whole new engine. What I do not understand is this,
When the car died it just lost power, there was no oil on on the ground and the engine was not smoking or over heating. The dealership said that the timing chain went and I need a whole new engine. Is there anything I can do to have this resolved with this class action?

Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 PM

I have a 2012 mini cooper hardtop. Both issues have occurred with this car. First the oil filter housing was flooded with coolant which caused the car to lose oil, overheat and stop. Then the timing chain loosened and ruined the engine. I would be interested in filing a lawsuit.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Default 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible Issues

I too am having the same issues with my car. About 3 weeks ago, my car completely stopped on the highway, and I got it towed to a Mini dealership, who assessed the car and informed me that my timing chain and water pump needs to be replaced. I found out not too long ago about the lawsuit in 2016 that was settled, however I got my car in early 2017. Contacted BMW customer relations, who contacted the “field support team”, who offered to cover 40% of the cost of the repair, even though there is a well known issue with the timing chains AND water pump issue. I shouldn’t be held responsible in any way for the cost to repair a car that falls under the lawsuit, and only missed the deadline because I simply didn’t own the car. I’m interested in joining the lawsuit as well, but I am still in talks with BMW and hope that I can resolve this. I’m currently looking for upper management to assist me.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Exclamation Count me in!

I just replaced my Timing Chain/tensioner as well!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Thumbs up Class Action

Yes, count me as well. I just replaced my tensioner belt for the second time since January, Plus, my car is losing massive amounts of oil. Not drive-able right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.