07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Count me in! My 2010 S class was listed in the 2016 lawsuit, but according to MINI Customer Relations, my specific VIN was excluded and they would not tell me why. The tensioner broke and destroyed my engine in April of last year. I had around 82,000 miles on the engine and had it serviced at the Nashville MINI dealer for several oil leaks, of which I paid over $4000 to fix. No mention of tensioner ever. MINI wanted to charge me $10,800 for a new engine. I had one rebuilt for $6800 with an authorized mechanic. This has been a joke. I'm all in!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:38 AM
Default Mini cooper 2nd lawsuit wave

we also had issues with a Mini Cooper tensioner failure. We bough June of 2016, engine failed in September. By the time we discovered the isssues the class action was closed. We paid more than $8000 to replace engine. Please let us know if we can be included in 2nd class action

Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM

I just got back from the mechanic....timing chain.
I purchased the 2009 Mini Cooper S in December and it has 59k. What is the next step in legal action?
I really just want to get rid of it at this point.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Mini007 Do you have a name and number of who you talked to? If enough calls come in, maybe this can go smoother.
Thank you!

Last edited by TinaJaxon; 08-16-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Not too sure how much of a leg anyone who bought their cars used has to stand on, unless there is thorough proof of timely oil changes and proper care. Even then there is no way of knowing if he car had been abused previously, and on standard shift vehicles, no way of knowing if there have ever been any botched down shifts. I am not defending Mini in any way, their original suggestion of 15K mile oil changes are surely the cause of over half these problems. However, it would be a stretch to expect any manufacturer to cover 100% of repair costs on an out of warranty vehicle with possibly unknown maintenance, and care history. Best of luck to you guys!

Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 PM

What is the issue with timing chain and is my 2008 Clubman affected? Thanks, I am new to this forum and a new mini owner.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2008mc View Post
What is the issue with timing chain and is my 2008 Clubman affected? Thanks, I am new to this forum and a new mini owner.
When MINI first debuted the R56 Cooper in 2007 the original oil change interval recommendation was 15K miles. This long oil service interval combined with a bad hydraulic timing chain tensioner design would cause the timing chain to go slack and jump time, usually destroying the engine. There are other factors involved like the early PCV system design that would cause excessive oil usage as well, this can be resolved with a new design cam cover. Many people who deiced against going so long in between oil changes had no issue. Generally I would recommend that you keep an eye on the oil level for the first few months, at least once a week. You can also listen for rattle at startup. There is a revised tensioner that makes it a lot less likely to have issue. You can try and pull the service history on the car and see if this has been done. If it's not using oil, and not rattling I would say do 3-5k mile oil services and enjoy the vehicle!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Yes please me too. In 2014 July i bought a certified used 2008 Mini Cooper Hardtop S. In November of 2015 I heard the "death rattle" and took it to the dealership with just under 60,000 miles. The timing chain had shattered - it was exactly the problem that ended up being covered in the lawsuit, which was settled a mere 7 days after the dealership charged me 3100 usd. I asked about recalls and lawsuits, nobody said anything. I am currently selling the car for parts, for a total loss of around 15,000. The lawsuit was ongoing during my visit, yet i never received any information from Mini. Their failure to notify and communicate details of the ongoing lawsuit, under these circumstances, is easily as dishonest as any negligence involved in the case itself. My car was a good candidate for the class, but missed it because the dealership assured me there was nothing i (they) could do. Now they are again saying there is nothing they can do because i didn't do more back then. Please count me in. This is outrageous.

Last edited by maxwell; 08-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Default Count me in

I purchased 2009 mini Cooper s in 2017a few months after settlement. 6 months later the tensioner went. I got the car repaired but it sounded terrible. Repairs costed over$2000. Died again this January and now it's looking at $6000 please add me to your list.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 PM

I have spent about $9000 in my 2009 Mini Clubman S since my extended guaranty expired four years ago. Interestingly enough, I was never told about BMW Mini Cooper Class Action Settlement at the Miami Braman Mini Dealership neither they mentioned to me they were aware of the second generation Peugeot BMW engines numerous issues.
Please count me in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.