07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light bulb stuck - cant replace!

Old 01-21-2018, 01:05 PM
Default Brake light bulb stuck - cant replace!

Looking for any tips I can get before having to resort to the dealer.
My wife has a 2011 Mini Cooper S. The dash signaled a brake light was out. I got a bulb and was surprised to see how relatively easy the change would be.
The access to the back of the taillight was easy and the design of the bulb mounts was simple - twist out the plastic socket that holds the bulb (nice no wires attached, no connectors to unclip), replace the bulb, put the socket back, twist and done!
Here's the problem. There are three of these twist-out sockets. The bottom two twist right out easily. The top one however (and naturally the one that I have to replace), will NOT budge. It twists about an eighth of an inch and that's it. It's stuck or something and will not move despite many,many attempts, a fair bit of colorful language, prayer, and frustration.
Help me please!
John

Old 01-22-2018, 03:50 PM

These Twist out sockets, do they have rubber seal on them? If so they might be adhering to the plastic on the back of the tail light. Squirt a little WD40 on the offending socket and start twisting it back and forth. No WD try a little vegetable or olive oil That is the only thing I can think of.