07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my mini be saved? Recommendations please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Default Can my mini be saved? Recommendations please!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would like your feedback on our 2011 mini that was just considered totaled. I'd like to save it and wonder if anyone has an idea of the potential cost to do so, and any recommendations you have, and possibly to turn it into a track car. Thanks for you help here!

Here are the pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpjxjadxx...A4uFmIqDa?dl=0

Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 AM

Hey there. Sorry about the accident. Is the frame bent? if it is then it's not worth to fix it. It's dangerous to drive it that way. If it isn't then it has potential to be a worthy track car. Rip out the interior, put in a roll cage, upgrade the suspension and get a bigger turbo and I bet it'll be a little beast on the track. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Sorry about your wreck man she's looks good for what it's worth but it's definitely salvageable it might be a little costy if that's your motor mount that's cracked and since your air bags deployed but from what I can see your radiator looks fine no visible damage to the engine or air box. But I'd definitely have it looked at along with your turbo and all hoses and wires checked too just in case. Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Good luck

Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 PM

I am not speaking from a background in Mini's but just from a car enthusiasts standpoint. A salvaged car will NEVER perform as well as it did prior to the accident, no matter how well it was fixed. An above response makes mention of bent frames and they are right, its not worth it and dangerous. Making it a track car would probably be your only option but the problem there is you are pushing the car to its limits when its foundation has already been weakened. Metaphorically, think of an old house with a new interior. It may be modified and have new plumbing and amenities but the structure is old and will never be as good as a new house. Just be careful and understand that there will be unforeseen costs that are likely to arise. If that doesn't bother you I think making it a track car would be great. I don't know if there are rules about salvaged track cars or not, I imagine the roll cage requirement offsets any danger a salvaged vehicle poses. Best of luck and if you make a track car be sure to post pictures and updates.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Many club racing cars have been on track for several decades and have seen more than a single racing accident. They get patched and patched and keep running, but I am referring to much simpler vehicles.