07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Noise Due to Oil Consumption or ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Exclamation Chain Noise Due to Oil Consumption or ??

I brought my 2007 Mini Cooper S in for a scheduled oil change September 2010 and some rough idling/noise. My dealership just diagnosed a loose chain and told me it was my fault and I bear the financial liability.

According to the service rep, this oil change at 54K found me "two quarts low, but this is normal consumption for a Mini because of its special oil recycling system." The tech says this caused "slightly lowered engine pressure (but no warning light) which caused the tension in the chain to become slack." He says I am at fault for not checking my oil level when I fill the car with gas. The oil was previously changed in February 2010 – no oil consumption at that time. They are quoting a $2,000 charge for replacing the chain which normally "would last the life of the engine."

This doesn't make sense to me. Are they making up the bit about 2 quart consumption of oil between changes? (I do nearly all freeway driving.) Is the oil pressure warning light malfunctioning? Is the chain defective?

All maintenance on my 2007 Mini S has been done by the dealership & on time. I am 4K out of warranty, altho I have the maintenance program upgrade only for 100,000 miles. What do you suggest? Help!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

there was a recall on those hydraulic tensioners that keep the chain tight...
I think this sounds like a scam to me , them not wanting to do the recall and or charging you and getting the recall $$$ from mini

Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Ask to talk to the factory rep and mention the recall (is is not really a recall) it is more of an addendum sent out to all the dealers telling them of the problem and should be looked at on a case by case bases. Naturally, the dealer is going to try and get out of it as he only gets a set amount from the factory for doing such work, so as I said talk to the factory rep. One thing they have in their favor (unfortunately) is the oil level. It is our responsibility to make sure the oil is never low, especially when you take it in for service. Two quarts may not sound low, but when you are turning on mountain roads, or even highways with long slow turns, the oil is pushed to one side and may be pushed out of the pickup tubes vacuum. This would in turn cease the flow of oil to all parts of the engine until once again the oil covered the intake tube. It is not a really strong argument, but one they will probably pursue.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM

This happened to my 07 Mini S, during warenty and the dealer repaired it.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Default 2.5quarts low

I took the car in for rough idling (The Mini web site didn't seem to be sufficiently flexible to describe this problem) so I booked in for an oil change (plus). The dealer report after inspection came back as the car was 2.5 quarts low on oil which once replaced cured the noise issue... I had read the previous posts re oil levels and timing belts and was prepared to cry foul if necessary, but it all worked out. P.S. its been 53,000 miles and still loving my cooper S (but please see post re tires) - Bob

Last edited by howard; 11-17-2010 at 11:02 PM.