07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death rattle question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:34 PM
Default Death rattle question

I just bought a 2007 MCS with 91k on it when we went to look at the car I did alot of research before looking to get one and death rattle was my biggest concern. We started it up cold at the dealer I made sure it was cold. It sounded good I couldn't hear any thing.. today I started it up after a very cold nights and I started to hear a slight clacking noise on the timing chain side it's faint but it's there. The Carfax shows it had alot of things fixed in 2017 vaccum pump. Head gasket full fuel system replacement turbo manifold gaskets the works so I assumed during this time a timing chain was put on it. That was 38k miles ago

I know there was a recall and it looks to have the non dimple tensioner on it still not the updated one will mini fix it under recall? Or am I gunna have to pay out of pocket?

Old 02-21-2022, 11:58 PM

If the weather has been very cold will shrink the chain enough to rattle slightly.you will have to pay for the tensioner to be replaced.the mechanic can also advise on chain,I would guess as the weather warms it will be all good

Old 03-02-2023, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlastorWinter
I just bought a 2007 MCS with 91k on it when we went to look at the car I did alot of research before looking to get one and death rattle was my biggest concern. We started it up cold at the dealer I made sure it was cold. It sounded good I couldn't hear any thing.. today I started it up after a very cold nights and I started to hear a slight clacking noise on the timing chain side it's faint but it's there. The Carfax and the results of the vin check show https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder it had alot of things fixed in 2017 vaccum pump. Head gasket full fuel system replacement turbo manifold gaskets the works so I assumed during this time a timing chain was put on it. That was 38k miles ago

I know there was a recall and it looks to have the non dimple tensioner on it still not the updated one will mini fix it under recall? Or am I gunna have to pay out of pocket?
I'm afraid it won't be fixed under the recall

Old 03-03-2023, 03:52 PM
Platinum Sponsor

I would do the fix. This is for the n14 engine MINI Cooper S/JCW

We have kits with the updated tensioner which is what most do, we have cost affective kits.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2007-...Engine/Timing/

Most of the warrenty stuff is past now, i had the updated tensioner (fix one ) on my r56 but that was years ago.