07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded P111b OBD code, early (Nov 06) R56 Cooper (not S). Where's my MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Default Dreaded P111b OBD code, early (Nov 06) R56 Cooper (not S). Where's my MAF sensor?

(Also posted on another forum but no replies yet)
Hi
I have a flat spot with very poor acceleration between 2500 - 3500 RPM in all gears but the car pulls like a train below and above this range; I'm getting 33MPG average, short journeys around town mostly so no obvious deterioration there.
Once a week or so I get the yellow Engine Management warning symbol and it goes away after a day or two
I have an OBDII bluetooth thingy fitted and using the "Torque Pro" Android app, which is showing code P111b - "Mass or Volume Air Flow va O2 Sensor Too Low (Bank 1)" so I thought I'd have a look at the MAF sensor to see if it needed cleaning.
Can I find it? Can I ***! I followed the air route from the hose at the grille, via an intake resonator/silencer box, to the air filter (which is brand new and pristine), then down the left side of the engine (as you're looking at it from the front), to the throttle body. No sign of a MAF sensor and I can't reach or see past the throttle body (no space between the rear of the engine and the firewall). I assume it's below that? A bit unusual, I thought they're normally before it. Or do I have a VAF sensor instead, and again, where do I find it? Or the intake O2 sensor?
Any help please, ta!
Malc

Old 07-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Default Maf

Originally Posted by malc_p
(Also posted on another forum but no replies yet)
Hi
I have a flat spot with very poor acceleration between 2500 - 3500 RPM in all gears but the car pulls like a train below and above this range; I'm getting 33MPG average, short journeys around town mostly so no obvious deterioration there.
Once a week or so I get the yellow Engine Management warning symbol and it goes away after a day or two
I have an OBDII bluetooth thingy fitted and using the "Torque Pro" Android app, which is showing code P111b - "Mass or Volume Air Flow va O2 Sensor Too Low (Bank 1)" so I thought I'd have a look at the MAF sensor to see if it needed cleaning.
Can I find it? Can I ***! I followed the air route from the hose at the grille, via an intake resonator/silencer box, to the air filter (which is brand new and pristine), then down the left side of the engine (as you're looking at it from the front), to the throttle body. No sign of a MAF sensor and I can't reach or see past the throttle body (no space between the rear of the engine and the firewall). I assume it's below that? A bit unusual, I thought they're normally before it. Or do I have a VAF sensor instead, and again, where do I find it? Or the intake O2 sensor?
Any help please, ta!
Malc
Hi. Did you ever find it ?
I’m having the same problem ! Where is the MAF sensor !

Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 AM

Anyone ever have any luck with this? same problem as posted by malc_p.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:01 AM
Default P111B code

Any news on the the problem? Having the same here..

Old 03-10-2022, 07:42 AM
Question

Anyone had any luck? I just cant seem to find the MAF sensor. My engine has a very rough idle and often stalls itself. There is an occasional stumble. I will be replacing the intake camshaft sensor, hopefully to prevent the stalling and rough idle but I imagine I will also have to replace/clean the MAF sensor - if I could find it.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:51 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Petarm123
Any news on the the problem? Having the same here..
Did you manage to solve it?

Old 07-21-2022, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dolph-Ian Lloyd
Hi. Did you ever find it ?
I’m having the same problem ! Where is the MAF sensor !
The map /Maf sensor as they are combined is on the passenger side of the air inlet below the silver VVT motor. Its held to the airbox by an 8mm headed screw. Easier got to with airbox and pipe from front of car removed.