07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure and misfire help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Default Fuel pressure and misfire help

New here, hope I am posting in the proper section. I apologize for long post, but the devil is in the details.

2011 Cooper S coupe, just turned 40K

Car started misfiring upon start up, check engine light. Ran codes:

P15DF Cold Start Fuel Pressure Too Low, Bank 1
P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 " 2 " "
P0304 " 4 " "

I searched forum, and saw fuel pump and filter issues, coil and spark plug issues. Seems an expensive way to track down source, with some reporting having replaced all the above with no remedy.

Since car just turned 40K, hard to believe fuel pump is going out, but possible. I know coils and spark plugs go, but having 3 go at the same time also improbable. I find it interesting that cylinder 3 never misfired.

Only thing that may be a cause is I got some gas at a sketchy station. What is throwing me on that front is that I only got about 3 gallons there as it was so sketchy, and went through most of that and it ran fine until a refill at a reputable station the day after. Car ran fine after that, and the next 4 days. On day 5 (after what may have been bad gas), issue started upon cold start up, codes popped up. Turned car off, restarted, the check engine lights off and car ran fine. Day 6, upon cold start up, misfire and codes. Went through several starts, same codes, with some intermittent starts occurring with car seeming to run ok. Some of the codes for different starts would be cyl 2, 4, or 1 and 4, different combos but never cyl 3. I would think if it was bad gas, the problems would have shown up sooner, not 4-5 days later, but it's all I can think of. This is day 6, same, misfire, with several starts, some OK, misfires on others. I have not driven the car last 2 days, just reading codes. Also, when it first happened, on the restart, all codes gone, dash CE and speedo CE. I cleared the codes today to reread fresh codes, the dash display one did go out, but speedo display remained.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Tony

Last edited by Tonydec; 08-03-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:09 AM

I have pretty much, the same issue. They've replaced the intake, rebuilt the cyl head, all new timing components, all new injectors, new coils, and after two months at the mechanic, I get it back with the same original problem it went in with. I've now spent more than I paid for the car. I love driving it, but despise this issue, and frustrating my mechanic as well. I hate to hav to resort going to the dealer and investing another fortune...but am at a loss of (money!!) what to do now. :-(

Old 02-20-2023, 11:11 PM
Default P1497 code shortly after replacing alternator.

Originally Posted by Bobby Briggs
I have pretty much, the same issue. They've replaced the intake, rebuilt the cyl head, all new timing components, all new injectors, new coils, and after two months at the mechanic, I get it back with the same original problem it went in with. I've now spent more than I paid for the car. I love driving it, but despise this issue, and frustrating my mechanic as well. I hate to hav to resort going to the dealer and investing another fortune...but am at a loss of (money!!) what to do now. :-(
I was just enjoying some really nice performance after replacing my alternator about three weeks ago. Tonight I was giving it the spurs and I felt a little hesitation going all out from 5th to 6th gear. Then the dreaded limp mode light and my joy ride is over. Stopped at a well lit gas station and looked under the hood. Everything looked fine. I’m wondering if I blew off a vacuum line (under the manifold) or maybe the brittle PCV hose has a crack that I can’t see on the end opposite the valve cover. Any ideas? Thanks!!!