07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 PM
Default Hatch Lock Problem

Most of the threads about the hatch lock seem to be inoperability. The problem with mine is that it spontaneously pops open at inopportune times. Usually, it will pop open when I start the car. Then I have to get out, shut the hatch, and then start driving. Sometimes it just pops open after I stop and shut off the engine and then open and shut the hatch. It sometimes just pops open again.

I checked the hatch mechanism and it opens and shuts appropriately when close the latch with a screwdriver and then actuate it with the hatch button. Doesn't appear to be any binding or debris in the way, and all looks clean. Any clues from users here?

Old 09-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cgpiper
Most of the threads about the hatch lock seem to be inoperability. The problem with mine is that it spontaneously pops open at inopportune times. Usually, it will pop open when I start the car. Then I have to get out, shut the hatch, and then start driving. Sometimes it just pops open after I stop and shut off the engine and then open and shut the hatch. It sometimes just pops open again.

I checked the hatch mechanism and it opens and shuts appropriately when close the latch with a screwdriver and then actuate it with the hatch button. Doesn't appear to be any binding or debris in the way, and all looks clean. Any clues from users here?
I have an 09 mini S… Had the same problem. Turned out to be the switch in the handle on the hatch. Replaced entire handle with a used one and problem disappeared.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Okay, I'll try an interim fix and see if re-soldering and cleaning the switch helps (the rubber portion is totally gone, so the switch as culprit makes sense since it's been exposed to the elements for a while). If this doesn't work I'll replace the switch itself and only go for a new (expensive) handle as a last resort. Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-17-2021, 03:36 PM

Hope it works!

Old 09-29-2021, 12:26 PM

I took the safe way out and bought a new OEM hatch module. All is well. But I’m still going to try and repair the original one as a possible spare.