07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inherited an '09 Cooper S - Crank no Start - Have I tried everything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 01:47 PM
Question Inherited an '09 Cooper S - Crank no Start - Have I tried everything?

New member here, been searching and looking at videos and I'm punting and asking for help!
I was given an '09 S to work on... cranks but no start. I've seen videos and more videos and forum posts and I can't seem to nail down the issue. I have narrowed it down (I believe) to no voltage to the low pressure in-tank fuel pump getting no voltage. I pulled the gas lines at the HPFP, no fuel coming to HPFP.

I can turn the car on, and measure no voltage at the pump connector, and no voltage at the electrical junction box connector (white/blue wire) going to the fuel pump. I have tested continuity from the fuel pump connection wire to the harness at the JBE. The fuel pump fuse reads 12v when the car is on. I ordered a replacement fuel pump relay on ebay, came in a kit of 2. Desoldered the old relay and resoldered the new one. Same problem, no voltage to fuel pump, measuring at output on the JBE. Because I had a replacement set of 2, I tried a different relay. Still no go. Figuring I somehow messed up the JBE, I ordered a used - JBE from ebay, same model of car, exact same part numbers of JBE. The car it came from was wrecked, but the engine still ran, according to the seller. Same issue, no voltage to fuel pump. I tested the main relay at JBE, which checks out. I used a multimeter and 9v battery for this.
Could it possibly be the DME not telling the JBE to engage the fuel pump? Have I missed anything here? I have no warning lights, no stored engine codes, and everything else electrical seems to work.
This car seems like it would be so fun to drive - if I could get it started!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:11 PM

I also forgot to note that I used a separate car battery and provided voltage to the fuel pump, which came on.

Is there a safe, permanent way to bypass this fuel relay in the JBE...? I assume because it's some kind of complex 10-pin crap and not user replaceable that it's a bit more complicated of a system then providing low pressure fuel pump voltage when the car is on.

Thanks!