07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by valvashon
Here's a few more pictures of the fob in question. First is a closeup of the fob being opened and the next two are of the board inside of the new shell. You can see two tactile switches (with the black actuators) and a spot between them where the other switch was (at the narrowest part of the circuit board). This switch was damaged and stuck in the on position, which drained the internal battery. I replaced the switch with an exact replacement (picture coming soon) and replaced the battery as well.

Having the battery out of these keys does not erase any programming. The battery was removed for at least a week when I had the key and was very dead before that. Apparently putting the key in the slot once "re-paired" it with the car and as far as I know it has worked since.

Dr. Bruce
MINI Key Hospital

Yes - after starting the car with the repaired key, all buttons worked. So far so good Bruce! I will say there is a little friction when inserting the key vs OEM key, but not enough for me to complain at all.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Default 2015 fob

Hello: I just bought a 2015 mini cooper base model. It only came with one Fob. I'm looking to get a backup. I called the dealer and they want over $500 for it, including the key.
I've looked on the internet and found a couple of companies that are suppose to have them, but they asking me for the serial number of the fob as well as the VIN. I can furnish the VIN, but I can't find where the serial number is on the fob? All it show is "MINI' on the back?
any suggestions?

Old 04-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlurryEyed
Greetings!

Our dog chewed up one of our key fobs. It is this unit:

I know the dealership is going to want $250+ to replace it.

As I understand it, they are sealed and need to be programmed per vehicle.

Has anyone managed to replace it outside of the dealership?
I just listed one for sale, if you are still interested.

They are paired to the vehicle by holding it next to the key icon on the right side of the steering column, and turning the car on. There are YouTube videos on this. So, if I am not mistaken, the fob is interchangable, where the cut key is not.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:56 PM

I am looking for an extra key. Just bought a 2011 "S". Still available, how much and most importantly, it will work in my car?

Thanks

Chris

Old 04-23-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by backhand1
I am looking for an extra key. Just bought a 2011 "S". Still available, how much and most importantly, it will work in my car?

Thanks

Chris
I don't know for sure. Can you call the dealer parts Dept and ask if the 2012 and 2015 use the same keyfob part number?

My extra fob is from a 2015 Cooper S with the BMW 1 series turbo i4.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:49 PM

Thanks...I'll try that.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:16 AM

Parts said no, it won't work on another Mini

Old 02-14-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlurryEyed
Greetings!

Our dog chewed up one of our key fobs. It is this unit:

I know the dealership is going to want $250+ to replace it.

As I understand it, they are sealed and need to be programmed per vehicle.

Has anyone managed to replace it outside of the dealership?
Forgive this reply if your question has been answered. I didn't read all the replies.

This guy:

recommends The Mini Key Hospital.

The good: He seems to feel they did a great job and their work was a good value.

The bad: They don't have a website. Instead, they have a Facebook page, which SCREAMS "amateur" to me. To make things worse, they don't seem to respond to private messages. If you can reach them, they seem like they would be the ones to fix your key fob.

UPDATE: I just noticed that this "New Thread" is 6 years old. My bad. New to the forum...still figuring it out.

D