07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a college vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM
Default Looking for a college vehicle

New to the mini world. Lookin for somthing for college that’s fun and reliable. I found a 2007 with JWC and it’s a Cooper s. Has only 43k miles. In my budget of 7500. It’s a female owner. Was wondering if this is a good buy. To me it looks great, very well taken care of but I don’t know enough about minis just think they look good along with their gas millage. Help please!!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:53 PM

College kid? No offense but you would rather purchase a car that needs less work. These cars aren't really the best when it comes to reliability due to timing chains, coils, thermostats, high pressure pumps, oil leaks and a bunch of other common issues these cars have. The later R56 are a little less problematic. But its still probably going to give you issues. I have one, but I also am able to do my own work at a shop and am able to get a parts discount on OEM bits. If you believe you can afford the parts and labor then by all means I'd recommend a later year R56 with the N18 motor. But until then, get something a little more economical.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PhatBrian
College kid? No offense but you would rather purchase a car that needs less work. These cars aren't really the best when it comes to reliability due to timing chains, coils, thermostats, high pressure pumps, oil leaks and a bunch of other common issues these cars have. The later R56 are a little less problematic. But its still probably going to give you issues. I have one, but I also am able to do my own work at a shop and am able to get a parts discount on OEM bits. If you believe you can afford the parts and labor then by all means I'd recommend a later year R56 with the N18 motor. But until then, get something a little more economical.
I’d much rather have somthing dependable that’s proablem free. I was considering a Chevy Cruz. It’s just hard to figure out what’s good out their with everything being two sidded. Thank you!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 PM

I do love my car as a daily. It is a great, fun car. But they do come with their issues. I'm looking past that lol. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the end.