07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number Plate Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Default Number Plate Light Issues

Hi there.

New to the forum but having a very frustrating issue.

I have a 2013 (R56) Cooper S and I have recently changed the number plate bulbs. The lights don't come on and I have a warning icon on the dash.

No other lights are out and all the fuses are in tact.

I picked up a brand new boot handle assembly which included the boot release button and lamps/bulbs but unfortunately it's still not working. I should mention that the boot release still works fine.

Any ideas?

Old 08-14-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bamutt182
Hi there.

New to the forum but having a very frustrating issue.

I have a 2013 (R56) Cooper S and I have recently changed the number plate bulbs. The lights don't come on and I have a warning icon on the dash.

No other lights are out and all the fuses are in tact.

I picked up a brand new boot handle assembly which included the boot release button and lamps/bulbs but unfortunately it's still not working. I should mention that the boot release still works fine.

Any ideas?

Hey! Did you ever sort this? My R56 is having the same issue!

Old 08-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Layzell
Hey! Did you ever sort this? My R56 is having the same issue!
Hi there! Yeah I got this resolved in the end after a bit of troubleshooting.

When I changed the bulbs, I swapped the OEM bulbs for LED equivalents which shorted out my BCM (Body Control Module). I had a full warranty on the car so Mini/BMW resolved the issue without it costing me anything.

Been three years since I've owned an R56 however if I remember rightly, Mini/BMW said it would have costed £400-£500 to replace without a warranty however I'm not sure if this is a bit of dealership embellishment...

Hope you get it sorted!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:11 AM

Hi there! Yeah I got this resolved in the end after a bit of troubleshooting.

When I changed the bulbs, I swapped the OEM bulbs for LED equivalents which shorted out my BCM (Body Control Module). I had a full warranty on the car so Mini/BMW resolved the issue without it costing me anything.

Been three years since I've owned an R56 however if I remember rightly, Mini/BMW said it would have costed £400-£500 to replace without a warranty however I'm not sure if this is a bit of dealership embellishment...

Hope you get it sorted!

Hey, thanks for replying!

Oh dear, that’s probably what I’ve done then 😫

I’m actually currently looking for a new car, 2016+ F56 Cooper S, so think I’ll just leave it for the next owner to deal with!

Did you go for an F56?

Old 08-16-2020, 09:20 AM

Hey, thanks for replying!

Oh dear, that’s probably what I’ve done then 😫

I’m actually currently looking for a new car, 2016+ F56 Cooper S, so think I’ll just leave it for the next owner to deal with!

Did you go for an F56?
Yeah very annoying issue... There's no reason the BCM should react like that to a bulb but that's the world of BMW/Mini for you haha.

I upgraded to a F56 Cooper S in Thunder Grey, great car. Sold it after about a year though because I wanted something cheap and cheerful for a bit. I did miss the R56 after a while though, to me it had more of a go-kart feel to it

Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 AM

Yeah very annoying issue... There's no reason the BCM should react like that to a bulb but that's the world of BMW/Mini for you haha.

I upgraded to a F56 Cooper S in Thunder Grey, great car. Sold it after about a year though because I wanted something cheap and cheerful for a bit. I did miss the R56 after a while though, to me it had more of a go-kart feel to it

Haha yes exactly!!

Oh nice, I’m hoping to do the same, mainly as my R56 has not been very reliable. It’s a 61 plate 2011 with 78k miles and this year has had spark plugs and coil pack, oil leaks, wheel bearings, water pump done and I think the vanos is on the way out. And the air conditioning has stopped working as well as this new BCM issue!

Although I do love it, it has a perfect Mini go-kart feel which as you say is lacking in the F56. :-(

Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 PM

Haha yes exactly!!

Oh nice, I’m hoping to do the same, mainly as my R56 has not been very reliable. It’s a 61 plate 2011 with 78k miles and this year has had spark plugs and coil pack, oil leaks, wheel bearings, water pump done and I think the vanos is on the way out. And the air conditioning has stopped working as well as this new BCM issue!

Although I do love it, it has a perfect Mini go-kart feel which as you say is lacking in the F56. :-(
Sounds about right! The F56 is a great car though, interior is such a nice place to be. Didn't have one issue with it when I owned it.

All this Mini talk is putting ideas into my head!