07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with mass air flow sensor... Maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Default Problem with mass air flow sensor... Maybe??

***09 mini cooper no turbo***

so my mini starts stalling at red lights. i get it home. next day start it up take it for quick ride around the block. still dying. unplug maf drive around the block again. not dying and its running much better.

so i assuming as most would (i think) that its the mass air flow sensor. I tried to clean the maf out with maf cleaner. put it back in after it dries. rough idle and then it dies. try a few more times.. same thing. rough idle and then it dies.

Time to get new maf i guess... I get used one from guy who wrote off his mini. he says it should work.

clear engine codes with ELM327 wifi odb2 scanner. it does seem to clear all codes (no more check engine light and all codes seem to be gone)

put newer maf in. turn on car.. rough idle and then it dies. tried a few times. every time is the same. (this is the same thing my old maf has been doing now)

tried to put old one back in. still the same thing. rough idle for a second or two then it dies.

so at first i assumed that the newer maf just doesn't work. but then i noticed that the check engine light hasn't come on at all...

is there another problem? shouldn't one of these maf's if they are bad triggered an engine code and the check engine light??

Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM

Did you by chance read what the code was before you cleared it?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Did you by chance read what the code was before you cleared it?
I feel that would have been a smart thing to do...

I did the opposite of that

Old 09-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 08_mini
I feel that would have been a smart thing to do...

I did the opposite of that
That's alright. This is all just a learning process. Anytime your MINI throws the CEL, it's the closest thing to knowing the answer to your question, or issue in this matter.

Not that this is your issue, but I'd start checking the basics. Check your oil level. How do your spark plugs look/when was the last time they were changed? What about other routine things like engine filter, fuel filter, etc.? You could also do a fuel pressure testing. We have an article on our site under the "tech info" tab at the top. Select the R56 articles and it's under fuel injection called "fuel pump testing." This could help you test to see if you possibly have a faulty fuel pump check valve or a leak in the fuel system.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM

update as to whats going on so far

Just got a new bosh maf and plugged it in. It started and ran rough but it stayed running unlike the other times I have tried it.. But it still sounded like it wanted to die. So I took it for a quick drive and things seemed to be a bit better but by the time I got around the block as I clutched in it would die. Got it back to its parking space and just as I did the check engine light came on.
pulled the codes p0137 and p0301 and looked them up

p0137: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
p0301: P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire (assuming this only happened because of it running so ****ty)

So since its a brand new maf in there... I can't see that being the problem any more. but I can't see a bad 02 sensor by the CAT to be causing the car to die like this...
Anyone have any ideas??

Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 AM

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0137

How many miles are on your MINI and when was the last time you replaced spark plugs? I have seen vehicles run rough and misfire with bad O2 sensors. If you're getting a code for that sensor then I would replace it and go from there.

2009 Mini Cooper Base Hatchback - Sensors - Page 1

Old 09-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Default Where is the MAF in a 2009 Mini Cooper without turbo?

I am also getting issues with the same model, however, the MAF doesn't seem to be in the same place as any of the other models, where do I find it?

Old 09-09-2021, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by shaunph
I am also getting issues with the same model, however, the MAF doesn't seem to be in the same place as any of the other models, where do I find it?

Straight back from the oil fill cap