2018 Mini Countryman Sunroof Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2024 | 11:01 PM
|
Question 2018 Mini Countryman Sunroof Won't Close

My daughter's Countryman sunroof won't close. When she pushes the button to close it, you can see the right side try to move but not the left (driver's side) and the glass tries to twist as the jam senser reverses the motor. When I pull on the left side as she pushes the button, I can get it all the way forward but not far enough to drop down - then it reverses and opens again. There's no way to stop it. The button will open it back up all the way afterward.

I tried spraying some silicone on the tracks with no results. There must be a problem with the closing mechanism hardware. I searched and searched for a fix. YouTube has nothing about this problem. Searching this forum and searching the internet come back with nothing. I see replacement gears and complete motors but nothing is said about what the motor connects to or why one side doesn't want to move.

Surely someone else has had this experience and can give me some guidance here. From what I seen, I can drop the control panel to access the motor and gears (but I haven't tried that yet). What would I look for after doing that? Looking at the exploded parts images, I don't see anything about the cables or whatever is between the motor and glass track that actually moves the glass.

I see Mini has a sliding mechanism parts kit that includes the cables but I can't find a separate listing for the cables by themselves.
https://www.outmotoring.com/sliding-...107379624.html

What goes wrong with the cables? Do I really need to replace all these pieces?

Last edited by Moonwink; Yesterday at 12:15 AM.