New Owner and Operator Concerns

Old 01-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Default New Owner and Operator Concerns

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice provided! I recently bought my first Mini Cooper and its an '09 Clubman S. I loved it when I first drive it, which I stayed local and didn't take it to the highway. I only drive for about 10 minutes. Now that I've had the car for 2 weeks, I have concerns that were not present at first.

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Automatic with DSV, and Sport with manual paddle shifters.

1. Noise Level, this is minuscule. The cabin is VERY noisy while on the interstate and it almost sounds like the sun roof leaks air, it doesn't, but is this normal?

2. Deceleration. When slowing down, going from 3rd to 2nd gear is really rough. I don't use the paddle shifting, and I've read that this is normal due to BMW creating a more "dramatic" driving experience. It feels Torque-Y like its shifting to soon and the RPMs are still high.

3. Acceleration/Deceleration. When I accelerate then let off of the pedal the car makes a strange clicking or popping sound near the front passenger tire. Not sure what this is...Only happens when it's cold (we have no snow or ice, temps have been about 35 degrees).

4. Temperature, I've noticed that the hood of the car gets EXTREMELY hot near the hood vent/scoop. I read elsewhere that this is due to the turbo being located there and that potentially a larger blow off valve would help reduce temperature? I have no clue, and it only happens while driving on the interstate (80MPH)

5. Engine noise. The engine is rather loud and ticks a little bit. I read that this is due to lower octane gasoline (the dealer used regular). I now have premium in it but the noise is still there...

Are these things normal?

Also, what are the buttons on my rear view mirror? Three buttons under the left side.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 AM

Let me answer the 3 buttons....they are programable for garage door operations.

I have the chrome hood scoop that was dealer replaced and they put a heat sheild to prevent chrome blistering. It is hot.

My tranny does not seem to exhibit what you are experiencing, but mine is slightly dead on the first press of the pedal.....it then accelerates pretty quickly from there.
I have mine about 2 months so far.