Shift Console

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Default Shift Console

Good afternoon... yesterday my daughter turned her 10 mini (base) off without putting it in park. This apparently triggered a problem with the shifter. Later when she was leaving, she complained about having a hard time getting it into drive. when she arrived at home that evening, she put the shifter into park - the car would not engage in park - key would not release - the shifter locked into place. Shifter console indicator say it's in park, but the dash cpu readout says reverse. I messed with it a bit and was able to get the shifter to move back to dive and then back to the "park" position, but it would still not register on the dash, and the key would not release. After a few minutes, i was able to get the key to release. Trying to decide whether or not to have it towed to the bmw shop. Ideally, this is something i could fix, but i am unsure about transmission linkage, and or whether or not, the computer would need to be reprogrammed with a new shifter assembly. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.