General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The shift in demographic

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 AM
Default The shift in demographic

Over the past two model years I've noticed that most of the new MINI owners [not repeat owners] seem to be less astute as to the technical specifications and merits of the MINI. Furthermore, the general lack of fundamental automotive knowledge leads me to wonder if the MINI is most peoples' "first" "enthusiast" auto. This is scary, because the MINI is definitely not an introductory enthusiasts car! The complex engine [of the MCS], the advanced suspension and braking and stability control systems [and apparently the advanced off switch on the auto-a/c] seem to cause the automotive newbies some advanced confusion. MINI2 has been loaded with relative morons for years, and in the past few months NAM has been infested by people seemingly so dumb I wonder how they even learned how to register their own screename! Is it just me, or is anyone else embarassed to share the same nameplate with such uneducated so-called enthusiats? I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, but if you can capacitate what I'm referring to, then you're already a step ahead than the people I'm talking about!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Default RE: The shift in demographic

I'm with you all the way Rye.. I cannot believe how some people just buy the MINI for the cliche. I'm a repeat owner, hell, I'm thinking about my third MINI already among other things which requires me to build a barn for my other cars.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 AM

Huh? What? [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 AM

I think you mean "cache", maximusmini, not "cliche"

Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: neilgj

Huh? What? [sm=chairshot.gif]
What part are you confused on?

Old 09-30-2005, 03:27 AM

Sorry. I was trying to be an idiot of the sort you described. Maybe it worked

Old 10-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Administrator

i think that perhaps some of the base model units that are being sold may hold true to this theory, but i would say it is not so much the case with the S... but anymore, look at the performance numbers being put out by affordable stock compacts...such as the Evo, or the SRT4...or the STi...and with the mid sized models...like the new cobras..ad Z06s...

Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 AM

I guess this is due to the sheer numbers of Mini's being sold. Many people just buy them as a fun car to drive around in rather than a car to be modified. hence they are not enthusiasts per se.

I have had a number of enthusist cars in the past, all of which were simpler to work on that more modern cars. This is another reason why people don't want to or cannot modify their cars. You are correct that Mini is not the simplest of cars. I have a new R56 MCS and will look at modifying once some options are available beyond the cosmetic. It is a little early for this model of car yet but I am sure there are things in the pipeline.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

at first, it seemed that i saw more older folks driving them, and that isnt exactly a big modding demographic..but i am gradually seeing more and more young people buying them...[8D]

Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Mainly the younger end of the market in the UK I have to say.

Quick Reply: The shift in demographic