2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Can't reset tire pressure sensor - button stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Default Can't reset tire pressure sensor - button stuck?

Hello Mini Cooper Forum!

I'm helping a friend out with her 2006 Mini Cooper and recently her tire pressure sensor came on. Nothing had changed in the vehicle, so I assumed the change in seasons is what caused the tire pressure to change a bit.

I verified that the pressure in all tires matched the pressure specification on the inner door, then I attempted to reset the tire pressure sensor following the instructions I found in the owners manual. No dice.

The instructions said that I had to press and hold the tire pressure sensor button near the emergency brake after taking the car from the off position to two clicks forward in the ignition, but when I pressed on the button it didn't depress at all. Repeated attempts of doing the reset procedure, while pressing with varying levels of pressure on the button (sometimes not even pressing at all), didn't have any effect. Each time I took the car from off to two clicks forward, the behavior was this:

1. The tire pressure sensor light came on
2. The tire pressure sensor light blinked once
3. The tire pressure sensor light then remained on

I even took it out repeatedly for short drives to see if the sensor just needed to 'auto-correct', no dice.

Am I missing something obvious here? My best guess at this point is that her button is stuck down, but I don't know the regular button behavior for this car. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Terence

Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

unfortunately you might have a dead TPMS sensor I'd go to a tire dealer or mini dealer to get them tested/checked One of mine died after hitting a pothole

Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'll have her take it past the dealer next time she has a chance.

Two follow up questions though. Is the tire pressure sensor reset button supposed to depress (or click) when you press on it? I found it really odd that pressing the button didn't seem to do anything. And how much did you end up having to pay to have your sensor replaced?

Thanks again!
Terence

Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

mine is momentary I really can't hear a click when pushing ... you can take a meter and check it

TPMS sensors are pricey ...
I think $130 mounted and balanced (they have to break down the tire to insert)

Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Default It's, the tire pressure reset button should depress

As noted by someone else, there is no clicking sound. However, the button should noticeably depress. Apparently a stuck button is a common problem... I have one now and I've found several cases online.

Originally Posted by terencekent
Thanks for the reply, I'll have her take it past the dealer next time she has a chance.

Two follow up questions though. Is the tire pressure sensor reset button supposed to depress (or click) when you press on it? I found it really odd that pressing the button didn't seem to do anything. And how much did you end up having to pay to have your sensor replaced?

Thanks again!
Terence