2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Manual Transmission BLOWN - - - THE FIX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM

I am just now going through the transmission swap on my 02 R50 with a midland 5 speed. At 70k miles it developed a pronounced whine like a bad differential and within an hour developed a muffled clunking sound just below my feet, exactly where the transmission is located. This was on a Friday, I parked the car and changed the transmission fluid and there were shavings in it. Also the gear oil was pretty much water and was about half the viscosity of the fluid I bought to replace it.
Took it to shop and had three options:
Replace with rebuilt Midland transmission from BMW for $3100 including new clutch and labor.
Replace upgrade with Getrag 6 speed for about $4500 with all the parts and labor, but a used getrag 6 speed.
Rebuild transmission for about $2500.
I am going to replace with Midland and see how long the tranny lasts this time, I hope I am not just pouring money into a hole, but I do like the car.
Also my dealer is flaky about this, the first time I called about this problem, the guy said they never have this problem, but the second guy I called to check on the warranty of the new transmission said I was lucky to 70k miles out of it and that I was very lucky that I did not have the auto/cvt unit. The second guy went on a 5 minute diatribe about the problems with this transmission and bmw transmissions in general and was laughing.
I guess $3100 has different meanings for different people.
I like the car and will keep it for at least a few more years, but that is it, there are too many other choices for this type of car.
I researched quite a bit about the midland transmission and came to conclusion that anybody that would put this thing into a car does not really need to be building cars, maybe scooters are a good fit.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 AM

I rebuild midlands. Can do for $800.00 (return shipping included) 1 week turnaround.

Last edited by erk187; 11-16-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: edit!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM

ERK: how do I contact you about rebuilding my 02 tranny?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 AM

Shoot me an email? Shetland87 at hot mail dot com

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM

I have a 2006 Mini, manual trans. In 2009, new engine and clutch, now I need transmission repaired or replaced. What other major components are left to fail?
BMW knows there is a major problem but as with most major corps, they are trying to ignore it away, LETS NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. I would love to hear from anyone regarding class action lawsuits. I will be making a large car magnet that will caution
people about Mini's problems and will drive with it on my car.
ceronapea@comcast.net

Last edited by wayne; 08-09-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Default Manual Trans

Originally Posted by winnie
The reason why the mechanic hasn't seen too many 2006 with CVT problem might be because the 2006 models are still fairly new, and have not reached the 50K- 60K miles when most CVT fail. I have been collecting names for a year now for a Class Action suit against MINI USA,a nd have collected quite a few names. We are in process of recruiting a good lawyer now. Next step might be going on a News Channel.
Can I be included in a suit, I own a 2007 Cooper, 6-speed manual. The synchros are gone. I can't find many complaints-- my car has 45,000 miles

Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Unhappy Mini Cooper Transmission Problems

I was told by dealer that I couldn't have the transmission serviced, and my current mechanic said that Mini said this, too.

2002 Cooper w/ 105 K miles is GROWLING in 1st and 2nd except when the clutch is in, tho still shifting well.

I took the my car to the dealer and they said there is no way to repair, the "sealed" unit is full of filings (I asked how they new that, it being a sealed unit. No answer. They said I must replace the transmission and that I should pay up- no rebuilt engine, only all new would do.

Took it to my current mechanic. He said that he could do it for 1/2 the cost of the dealer, but that a 5-sped w/ this low mileage shouldn't burnout. He said it would be progressively worse not fail catastrophically (anyone know if this is true?) Decided to clean out the filings and refill the transmission.

I talked to the same repairman at the dealer about another problem, and told him that my tranny was still working. He recognized me and said "I got in trouble about this probem......

Is there anyone w/ the same problems- and could you please count me in if you litigate this?

Thanks!
Karen
503-293-8901

Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 AM

It's not a sealed unit. That's for sure. It is, plain and simple, an offshoot of the original mini transmission, without the technology upgrades. The trouble with the transmissions is that the owners fail to flush the oil out of them during break in.( "sealed unit" is dealer-speak for " wedunnohowtododat") The transmission should be flushed at 15-20k miles, after it has broken in, otherwise the main input shaft bearing and then syncros fail. The original oil should be replaced with 90w or higher royal purple synthetic after break in.
I wouldn't say that it is a design flaw, as the transmission will last a long time if maintained correctly, and that, is consistent. I would say that it is a maintenance or information flaw, as I haven't noted that the manual says anything about this.
Fortunately, in the world of cars that could go really bad, the mini cooper is one of the few vehicles that is fun, quirky and cool that manages to be really pretty maintenance-free, save for the transmission problems that they have.
Volkswagen beetles are fun, quirky and cool, they don't have transmission problems ( for the most part) but they do have their share of other problems, ( interior bits falling apart, window failures, lights, door latches, seats that stain, abs issues, timing belt and water pumps. etc. ) that can add up over time. \
Change the oil in your transmission, they do have an oil drain, fairly often, about once every fourth oil change, and you will enjoy a good long mini life with the tranny in it. Two bottles of royal purple will set you back 20 bucks, you can enjoy monitoring your tranny's progress, make it a part of your car ownership, just another chore to do, like rotating the tires.
IF you don't do this, I rebuild the transmissions and haven't had a single one come back. ( see my ad above ) They are pretty light and easy to ship.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM

I contacted several lawyer firms and this one said it was worth a shot. I sent my receipt last week. The number is 310.556.5637, his name is Steven, sorry, I don't recall the firms name.. Good luck, let me know if it helps

Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Thank you, I wasn't sure what kind of fluid was inside. My old-school Camaro 4-speed uses 90wt, I know newer cars can use auto trans fluid in manuals. I don't mind routine maintenance if it works.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission BLOWN - - - THE FIX!!!