2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issues Detailed Explanation please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Default Clutch Issues Detailed Explanation please help

2004 Mini Cooper S 6 speed manual

So the clutch went out at around 80k miles. We found a guy to change it out, took him 2 tries but it was working for about 3-5k miles. She hits a major pot hole and the slave cylinder must have made contact because it was leaking. I change that myself using a pressure bleeder. Took 7 tries to bleed it proper but it ran for another 500 miles before not shifting at all. It sat for 8 months and then magically was shifting again for 1 or 2 shifts before i discovered one of the shift cable bushings went bad and it was disconnected completely. So i do a temp fix and reconnect the shift cables and it was shifting perfect again, then i drove it 5 miles shifting perfectly thinking all was well. At mile 5 my temp fix failed and I towed it home but then when I went to readjust the shift cable and put it into gear it shifted great no slop at all and I got it into reverse and it was moving until i shifted into first and then the clutch wouldnt engage at all. Pedal feel was normal and shifter feel was great. It kind of felt like it did when the slave cylinder leaked from 8 months prior but its not leaking and has full range of motion. So now I can shift into any gear and it feels great but I cant actually engage the gear at all. I can even shift it from where the clutch cables connect to the transmission by hand without engaging the clutch. Im thinking at this point it could be air in the slave cylinder or bad master cylinder IDK... or worse the clutch release arm has fatigued but I dont get how it was shifting so great for a few miles and then nothing (after I reconnected the shift cable)......What do you think? Could it be the throw out bearing? Is one of the axles pushed out?

update -- after sitting for 2 weeks the clutch would sound like it was grinding on itself with the clutch pedal out but then after a 2 minute warm up that sound when away. Initially it would go away only when the clutch was deppressed in which would indicate the slave cylinder is properly bled and not the issue. I'm guessing the throw out bearing is out??

Last edited by westcoastsia; 11-11-2021 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update after more tinkering