2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Mini Owner Help Help Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Default Potential Mini Owner Help Help Help!!!

Hey guys first off thanks for taking the time to read this. Im in need of some advice. I have a chance to buy a 2005 Mini S pepper white loaded leather moon roofs 6 speed new tires and 81k on it. It has a reconstructed title bc it was read-ended in California and deployed both air bags. It has been professionally rebuilt by a mini dealer with all paper work and documentation to prove so. I have pictures of before and after as well. I can get it for under 7,000. What's your opinion? To buy or not? Thanks again guys for all your help in advance.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM

We deal with salvage title cars all the time and as long as you see pictures before and after you should be OK. Sometimes in other States it will be titled as a non salvage
Have it check by a mechanic prior to laying down the cash.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Not too sure about salvage title, hard to sell it down the road.... don't forget "no free lunch"

Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Default buying salvage

If you've seen pictures of before and after and you can tell for sure that the car in the pictures is the one you're buying that helps a lot. Also it being simply rear ended makes it much easier to do. Id definitely say still have it looked over by a mechanic and possibly another body shop that you personally trust to make sure everything is done right.
I used to work in a body shop and had previously worked in a shop that mainly did salvage title cars. It takes alot of work to get everything right but as long as they took their time with it and got everything lined up correctly you should be just fine. The car i am currently driving (hopefully not much longer as i am actually looking at an 06 cooper S) is actually a salvage titled car. It was a front end collision and well there's alot more work in a front end collision with motors and all. for the most part i can say it's been fairly trouble free. my check engine light has been on pretty much since ive had it but anytime a shop looks at it they cant figure out what is making it stay on.

just make sure to check all your bases, with rear end work you'll want to check alignment, exhaust, electrical connections for the lights, and check the gaps in the sheet metal from the hatch to the quarter panels, if the gaps are consistent its easier to know that they took their time with things.