2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying an S. What should I be concerned about?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Default Thinking about buying an S. What should I be concerned about?

Hello everyone. I currently own a Jeep WJ(grand cherokee) and belong to a forum similar to this. That forum has beengreat because of the extensive knowledge and sincerity of it's members. I am thinking about buying an S model. probably an 04. What should I be looking at in terms of reliability, maintance issues. I want a manual and leather but im open to anything else. I just think the mini's are the worlds coolest cars. Any recomendations you have WILL NOT FALL ON DEAF EARS. Thank you all!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:00 AM
Default RE: Thinking about buying an S. What should I be concerned about?

--Hey there bheiser, glad you like the MINI so much. Hmmm I can honestly say that the 02 and 03 models had a horrible service record. A few of my friends had a lot of problems. So much that one traded his in for an Acura. I have an 05 and she has treated me well, but friends with 06 models have had weird problems. The MINI's are definitely a love affair type of car. Certain models and certain production runs are bullet proof. Some are really bad. Here is what to look out for in buying an R53 MINI.

1.) Mushroomed shock towers. - our shock towers are very week and can get damaged due to bad roads
2.) 05 and newer models have snorkel that protects the power steering fan- old ones can suck a plastic bag up and blow a fuse.
3.) Check for transmission leaks and problems - I read in a british MINI mag that this is a common problem even in manuals
4.) Auto - non S models have a really bad reputation with their auto transmissions. Beware.
5.) Check onboard computer for mpg - if no mods have been made and the average mpg is in the teens beware.

That should be a start. There are a lot of quirks to the car so you really gotta love em to drive em. Coopers with low profile performance run flats will bounce like crazy even over lightly cracked pavement. Coopers with sport suspension will bounce harder than a low rider on rough pavement.

I'd say test drive it over bad pavement. If you can deal with that daily and still love it, go for it. But do a carfax on the car and or have it checked out by a MINI mechanic. Please keep in mind that the dealer is not necessarily the best MINI mechanic too.

Hope this helps.

~p

ORIGINAL: bheiser

Hello everyone. I currently own a Jeep WJ(grand cherokee) and belong to a forum similar to this. That forum has beengreat because of the extensive knowledge and sincerity of it's members. I am thinking about buying an S model. probably an 04. What should I be looking at in terms of reliability, maintance issues. I want a manual and leather but im open to anything else. I just think the mini's are the worlds coolest cars. Any recomendations you have WILL NOT FALL ON DEAF EARS. Thank you all!