General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a RHD... possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Default Importing a RHD... possible?

So has anyone here known someone or themselves actually imported a RHD MINI? If so, what does it take? I contacted my local dealer in GA about it. I know, I know, I know... why do I want a RHD? Just because it's cool and unique? Just because I want to be trendy to the Fast and The Furious? Because I want to spend more money on my MINI?

Answers are as follows: I want a RHD because it is unique. It is cool. I'm not trying to be trendy just like my cars to be a little different (hence why my current ride is bright orange which is a factory 3 stage paint). I don't WANT to spend more money but I know I will probably have to.

I've heard different arguments about if it's even legal blah blah blah. I know RHD itself isn't illegal as I've seen numerous Skylines around town, a few Subaru's, a BMW once, mail trucks everyday, etc. It's my understanding the only thing it has to do is pass US Spec. Smog emissions. I found a source that claimed that if you can get a dealer to go through the process, it will be legally imported.

Just curious because I've found RHD JCW's online for sale at different sites but for one, I weary about buying a used vehicle in the first place, let alone from a different country where I'm not even sure the emissions are right?

So is it really worth it? Probably not. But I got plenty of time since I'll be overseas for another 11 months or so.

Also, someone told me I could probably get someone in the military to ship it from Germany if they are stationed there? Thoughts?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

You can easily import the OLD mini's in in RHD and title them.
Technically there are far more things to worry about besides SMOG , the skylines do not meet bumper impact , there was a company called "Motorex" that was bringing them in and converting them to be legal and then getting proper titles , after several years it was found that they were a complete SCAM and were put out of business but unfortunately they "legalized" ones are still running around as well as the canada based outfit that are bringing them in .