General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for your advice on 2011 Mini Cooper with SALVAGE title that I wish to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 10:05 AM
Default Looking for your advice on 2011 Mini Cooper with SALVAGE title that I wish to buy

Hello fellow members,

Please I'm seeking your valuable advice as I consider my first purchase of a Mini Cooper vehicle, specifically the 2011 Mini Cooper. Before finalizing my decision, I'd like to know if there are specific components or aspects of the vehicle I should carefully inspect during evaluations. Your expertise can provide insights on maintenance tips and critical factors to consider when buying a car.
The 2011 Mini Cooper fits my budget perfectly, but there's a concern: it has a SALVAGE. Some say it might not be an issue, while others caution against the purchase. To help you provide feedback, let me offer additional information. Should I check specific aspects during on-site or mechanic inspections? Your input is highly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:08 AM

It looks nice but looks can be deceiving. How did it earn the "salvage title"? If it went through a flood, it might not show any damage but the electronics and wiring could give you all sorts of problems that are hard to track down and fix.
My daughter recently lost her car to a flash flood while sitting in her driveway. She sent a picture to her insurance company showing water had left debris on top of the back seat. The insurance said that was all they needed to see and totaled it.
My advice is see if you can see the CarFax before buying this vehicle.

Old 08-03-2023, 10:12 AM

@Moonwink Thank you for all your comments. I’ve read all your comments. I’m being cautious about buying this car and after doing extra research, I decided to use Carfax alternative to confirm my suspicions. This is what I’m striving for. Without this research, I would end up with a car that has inaccurate specs, is harmful to the environment, has high fuel consumption, high MRSP, etc. (I don't want to spend $40 for the carfax) I paid $15 for this but for me it’s worthwhile. Thank you.”Here is the link to the report: https://detailedvehiclehistory.com/r...SU3C57BTX97156

Last edited by Tommy789; 08-15-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:43 PM

At least that report doesn't mention anything about flood damage but shows it's been wrecked a couple of times that led to the salvage title. That sort of damage is easier to repair.
The car my daughter bought to replace the one lost to the flood was re-ended and pushed into the truck in front of her by a hit and run driver. Luckily, she wasn't hurt but getting an estimate for repairing it resulted in a hassle with an unfavorable body shop who did all they could to depreciate the value of the car while adding on as many parts and labor as they could. That resulting in the insurance totaling it too.

The shop giving the repair estimate has a lot to do with whether or not the car is totaled and would get a salvage title if it were repaired. That may be the case with this Mini. Obviously, it was repairable. I think I'd have a 4 wheel alignment check to make sure nothing was damaged so much it can't be corrected. The body panels are easier to replace than aligning the frame.