General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perspective owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Default Perspective owner questions

I am in the market for a new car and am seriously considering a Mini. I am tall but having test driven two so far I do not fin the drivers comfort to be an issue. I fit in very nicely! I do have a some reservations.
First off is ground clearance I live in CT and on a road with a steep initial incline. A friend of my daughters has a mini and does not scrub coming up but I’m sure he would never get over the bump that the snow plow leaves on our lane when they clean the main road. Are there specific years or models with better ground clearance? Is there a place where all the pertinent technical information is listed for all the Minis available in the US? It would be great to be able make that kind of comparison.
Tire limitations, because the models in my price range are 2WD I will need to install real snow tires some years. It seems like the mini requires drive on flats. Can other tires be used or are your limited to just a few tire options?
Is the traction control option actually effective in the snow? Is it something that can be retrofitted to a model that doesn’t have it?
That’s all for now, thanks
Robert

Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Tiews you can run regular tires , but remember there is no spare so a tire plugging kit, bottle of slime and a portable air compressor are a must

Traction control works great I've not seen a car without it works great in snow

Old 03-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge
Tiews you can run regular tires , but remember there is no spare so a tire plugging kit, bottle of slime and a portable air compressor are a must

Traction control works great I've not seen a car without it works great in snow
Mine has a spare. I'm I missing something here.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

S's don't have spares

Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM

I know a few fairly tall/large people who seem comfortably accomodated by a MINI. Traction control works well in snow - car feels fairly safe in slippery weather, although it is not going to give you completely secure performance. I feel pretty secure in the snow, yet I am aware I am driving something quite small on highways packed with SUVs--not always a comforting thought. That said: MINI is incredibly limber and sure-footed and can sidestep almost any mess you can (almost) run into on the roads.

Snow tyres might be a good idea if you have to drive on steep hills in challenging winter weather.

You can purchase 16" or 17" wheels - that may help with clearance. We have to shovel that bump at the end of the drive left by the snowplows. (Although I have driven through it with little effort, a little running room, and much fun!!)

I can't say enough good things about my MINI; my next car will be a MINI as well.

Hope this helps

Last edited by JMBL; 03-23-2011 at 06:25 AM.