General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The shift in demographic

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Default RE: The shift in demographic

ORIGINAL: Ryephile

This is scary, because the MINI is definitely not an introductory enthusiasts car!
Since when is the MINI an enthusiast ONLY car? I got mine because it was a fun car and a great investment. I have had the car over a year, put 26,000 miles on it, and I have had offers for exactly what I payed for it! When I bought mine, it was number one on the resale-value list. I don't take my car to the racetrack, but I love the performance on the street. I have a heavliy moded Mustang that I drag race with, and like most people in that sport (I said MOST, not all), I never had an interest in a car like the MINI. I really like the look of the MINI and I knew of the racing liniage attached to the car, so I went and testdrove one. I couldn't get the ear-to-ear grin off my face once I got out of the car, I absolutly loved it! I had been missing the whole handling aspect of cars until then. As to what the MINI stands for, I was a newbie. I don't see a problem for anyone buying this car. You don't know why they bought it, and it really doesn't matter. Why the exclusion? I don't want to be a snob and think I am better than others because they are new to this kind of car. That is why the forum is here, so people who don't know can learn more about their cars. That is what an enthusiast does! They strive to learn more about their cars, and they should be willing to share the knowledge they gained along the way.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I'm a new owner but I came from the "mod til it's not a Honda" Civic crowd. Being the case, my MCS is pretty heavily modded and will continue to become more and more of a race car.

The most obvious thing about the lack of real interest in the cars in the newer crowds is the lack of waving. Anyone driving a MINI should ALWAYS wave to EVERY MINI they see!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 AM

These days, you don't really need to be knowledgable to be an enthusiast. Most people don't even own a complete set of tools anymore, nor could they tell you the difference between posi-traction and anti-lock brakes. But we shouldn't put a Mini owner down just because of they lack technical expertise. And it doesn't mean that they can't enjoy the benifits of driving a Mini as much as anyone.
As R56MCS said, lot of that is brought on by the massive onslought of complex technology. You can't argue that it was a lot easier to work on a '67 Mini compared to a '06 Mini. One person asked where their fuel filter was in the tech section, and nobody has answered! Doesn't anybody know? (I have to admit that I don't, but I could probably track it down.)
It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. I would hope that you simply smile understandably at guys like me who for several years assumed that the MCS was turbocharged as opposed to supercharged.
I find the techno freaks equally amusing and sometimes just as snobbish. Not that there is anything intrensically bad or wrong about them. They sometimes just come across a bit amusing to me though. By my standards, anyone who would install a nitrous oxide injection system on their car has to be just a little bit wierd. No offense to those of you that might have that on your Mini; But what totally mature person would need, or even want that feature installed on their car?
(They could argue us mature people are totally boring.)
All ends of the spectrem are interesting. But in finality, it is our differences and our tolerance of differences that make the world the unique place that it is.
By the way, in my neck of the woods, Mini owners do wave at each other.
Cougsfan

Old 01-22-2007, 04:42 AM

Lol well to be a repeat owner you had to be a newbie first time owner at one point, You have to start somewhere. I am a newbie of sorts I guess itsmy first mini, but I have modified other cars the mini is a fun car to drive, its great looking car, its fun to work on and make nicer and the people whom dont know much look to the real mini crazy people for tips tricks and answers, and so they should

Old 03-16-2007, 03:33 AM

Something interesting concerning this topic happened the other day. My oldest son had came home from College for the weekend and brought his newest girlfriend with him to introduce her. When she saw me come driving home in my Mini, she told my son; "Gee your Dad has a REALLY neat car..... But aren't Mini's 'sposed to be "girly" cars?" My son chuckled at this and happened to tell me what she said. My initial reaction was "Girly car??? No frigging way!!!"
Since that time, I have thought about most of the people who have came up to me out of the blue and commented on my car have been the opposite sex. One gal whom I had never seen before came up to me in a store parking lot and asked if she could set it my car to see how much room was really in it. (Pretty bold, I thought) She had been thinking of getting one. Of course I let her set in it.
None of these females who have asked me about the Mini couldn't car less about the technical aspects. The were more concerned about the asthetics. Not that there aren't females who are not interested in the technical side. I am sure there are.
I think it just goes to show that it is pretty hard to stereotype a Mini owner.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 PM

actually I think he means clique...

Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Well the main reason why people come to these forums is to LEARN about their cars and to diagnose problems.

I come from a super enthusiast forum at saabcentral and these forums definitely have a different aura in comparison. Also keep in mind that the mini is an attractive car which brings about the Barbie and Ken types that care more about looks than much... where only people that can truely appriciate a saab would buy a saab because in general they are considered pretty hideous looking.

I'm probably asking some pretty newbie questions here because i know absolutely nothing about minis or how "sophisitcated" they may be. From an outisde perspective they just seem like the typical run of the mill ford focus econobox (but styled a lot cooler)... and from an outside perspective saabs are just junky old cars that old college professors that smoke pipes like to buy, unless you know about how its trionic engine management system is one of the most sophisticated of its time, and how they pioneered turbo charging technology as well as many other in car features that people take for granted, or maybe how by just tweaking the ECU and getting a new exhaust u can gain over 100HP.

Now instead of generalizing and insulting a boat load of people, and making this look like a hostile community of car owners... do something descrete like pointing the seemingly idiot user somewhere with a handy link, or reminding them of the easy to use forum search function

Now as this is a relatively new forum, with me being user number 700 something (in contrast im member 17,700 something at saab central which has been around since the late mid 90's), and not a large database of topics to search through.. getting this forum started on the right foot means offering over your best technical expertise to newbies and welcoming new users (provided they show lots of picture )...
.. ..Unless the so called "enthusiasts" are just here to brag about their carbon fiber dash mods and new pullys or whatever