General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Mini Doors don't lock and hear warning beep when door is open

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Default 2002 Mini Doors don't lock and hear warning beep when door is open

Hi guys, so I'm new here. I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2002 Mini Cooper non S. Here is what's going on. When I try to lock the doors with the keys. When I turn it it locks and unlocks again right away. Only if I hold the key down will it stay locks after it tries to unlock a few times. Also with the lights off and the key out of the ignition when i open to door to get out it has that warning chime or buzzer like the lights are still on or I left the key in the ignition. Anybody ever have these problems before? any help would be greatly appricated. Oh also i just replaced the drivers door lock, but that didn't fix it.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:16 PM
Default I know this post is ancient.

But I thought I’d try anyway. Sooo, Did you ever resolve this problem? Or does anybody have any insight on this or a place to start as far as diagnosing this goes? I’m having, basically, the exact same problem. I have a 2002, non S, mini Cooper five speed manual. The door chime dings while the driver door is open with the car off and key out of the ignition. As if the key is in the ignition, or the lights are on. However, keys are not in the ignition, and the lights are not on, all the doors a shut, there are no dash lights on, everything appears to be in order. but because of this, it will not allow me to lock the doors. When I try to lock the doors with the fob, they automatically unlock. I’m guessing this is because it doesn’t want me to lock my keys in the car because it thinks that my keys are still in the ignition even though they are not. So my question is, has anybody came across this and found a fix for it? Or is there a place for me to start diagnosing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!