General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Mini Cooper Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Default 2010 Mini Cooper Start Problem

I have a problem with my 2010 Mini Cooper. I couldn't get it to start the other night. I have a push start. So here is what happened: I put the key in, all the lights on the dashboard and the headlights came on, but when I pushed the Start/Stop button, it would sound like it was going to crank for about one second, then quit. Then I tried a little later, and it sounded like it was going to turn over, but made this awful grinding noise. I had it jump started, which seemed like it may have helped, but I drove about a quarter mile, turned it off and couldn't get it to start again. Again, I had it jump started. I drove it home (the symbols BRAKE and triangle with the exclaimation point with a circle around it were both on), and when I turned off the engine (the key was still in the ignition) the headlights started flickering like crazy, as well as the light on the car charger (but the lights on the dash and tachometer were fine and didn't do anything). Also when it was doing that, I heard this weird noise that sounded like it was coming from the fuse box on the passenger side. The next day I had the battery checked at O'Reillys and they said it was good (there are no punch holes which indicate how old the battery is though). I started it up that morning, but it sounded a little sluggish when starting. I took it to the shop and they can't seem to find anything wrong. So I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful advice.

Last edited by tverduin; 07-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.