General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 Mini Air Conditioning blowing warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Default 2012 Mini Air Conditioning blowing warm

This is my daughters car, and from what I can tell, it is not blowing as cold as it should be. The compressor only comes on every minute or so for about 1-2 seconds at idle in the driveway. The charge on the low side is within limits while the compressor is engaged (1-2 seconds every minute or so), when not engaged to goes to the red band of the gage. From what I've read, the compressor needs to be engaged in order to charge the system correctly. Another problem is her fan staying on when the car is parked and killing her battery from time to time, not always. Thanks for any help

Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM

I've run into the fan running like that, caused by air pockets in the cooling system. This condition might also effect the heating & A/C system. So if the car is low on coolant or the coolant has been changed. Then an airlift must be used to remove the air pockets & totally fill the system. Advise

Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Took it to the dealer for rough while at cruise, thought it might be the coils they put in a couple of years ago, idle is fine. Engine light came on with a couple of faults, one of them pointing to the thermostat housing, that was costly. They didn't save the parts as requested, took 300.00 off the bill. Also told them about the warm air blowing out at idle. I refused to pay 240.00 for them to just evacuate and recharge the AC system for troubleshooting. They ended up price matching a local shop's fee which saved me considerable money. They said it was the relay for the cooling fan, which they said was the fault of the thermostat housing when I first brought it in. I'm hoping that the failed relay didn't trigger the fault for the thermostat housing. They assured me that the relay couldn't cause the fault light. Car still has a slight rough engine at cruise speeds on the freeway, drop into N, smooths out, put it back in D, slight rumble. Trying to figure if it's in the drivetrain or the engine. Daughter (it's her car) claims it's "OK". So I'm wondering if it's just inherent in the car or if it's a real problem. Loosing my faith in the dealership to do due diligence in troubleshooting. They seem to be taking a shotgun approach. To boot, they didn't catch the overdue oil service or the wipers falling apart. I requested they address these items on the second return for cooling issues, they did the oil service for parts only, no labor. So while they are trying to appease me, I'm 50/50 whether I want to return the car to them for service. I was busy changing a timing belt on a new purchase (2003 Acura CL, timing belt never changed out, got it cheap, that's a another story) and had to get my daughters car back to her before she left for college.