General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ask a MINI tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Ask a MINI tech

I'm shutting this thread down so that these questions end up in their own threads. That makes it easier for other people to search for answers they're looking for.

From now on, please post all questions in their own thread.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Default Thanks mini tech, I need help

Power steering suddenly stopped. Lost owners manual. No evidence of leaking or damage. drives and steers ok (besides obvious loss of power steering aid). could it be a fuse? any other advice? thanks again.
alison

Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Default Electronic

The electical over the steering wheel has no display

Before I Start taking the colunm apart.

Anyone have any clues or hints ?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Question Question About Clutch and Fly Wheel Replacement

Thanks for your offer to help MINI Tech!

I have loved my 2006 Mini until today - when I found out I need a new clutch and fly wheel after only 28,000 miles. They tell me this is not under warranty and due to driver error - cost is $2500 - yikes! (Note this is my third standard vehicle, and I drove the other 2 over 100,000 miles each with no clutch replacement, and my guy friends say I drive the standard just fine.) After looking at the clutch it clearly needs to be replaced. What seems questionable is that the wear on the clutch is uneven - the pressure plate side is worn more (down to the rivets) than the other side which is showing some cracking and less wear. The fly wheel was discolored but not scored - clearly from the excessive heat from the clutch.

Also after reading some of the on-line blogs it seems that a clutch problem is fairly common in Mini's and there have even been some service bulletin's in the past. How is it possible that the clutch can go after only 28,000 miles? Is there any chance that the clutch could have been stuck so it never fully dis-engaged? I am just at a loss - and have been so careful with my Mini - that I can't believe I have a $2500 bill after less than 3 years. I do have pictures and would be happy to forward them on.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cincy Girl

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM

my plastic latch that holds the glove compartment closed broke..for no apparent reason. I hardly keep anything in the glove compartment..Mini cooper has to replace THE WHOLE BOX for $180...is there anyway to get around this? what a cheap piece to be the part to keep the box closed. thank you

Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CincyGirl
Thanks for your offer to help MINI Tech!

I have loved my 2006 Mini until today - when I found out I need a new clutch and fly wheel after only 28,000 miles. They tell me this is not under warranty and due to driver error - cost is $2500 - yikes! (Note this is my third standard vehicle, and I drove the other 2 over 100,000 miles each with no clutch replacement, and my guy friends say I drive the standard just fine.) After looking at the clutch it clearly needs to be replaced. What seems questionable is that the wear on the clutch is uneven - the pressure plate side is worn more (down to the rivets) than the other side which is showing some cracking and less wear. The fly wheel was discolored but not scored - clearly from the excessive heat from the clutch.

Also after reading some of the on-line blogs it seems that a clutch problem is fairly common in Mini's and there have even been some service bulletin's in the past. How is it possible that the clutch can go after only 28,000 miles? Is there any chance that the clutch could have been stuck so it never fully dis-engaged? I am just at a loss - and have been so careful with my Mini - that I can't believe I have a $2500 bill after less than 3 years. I do have pictures and would be happy to forward them on.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cincy Girl
Write to mini with the outrage of clutch failure so early , also site numerous others with similar failures , Include the pictures there have been cases of goodwill that they picked up the parts/labor or a good portion of it ... Also I'd shop around at other shops I know that mini shops http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/ was well under 1/2 that ...

Old 02-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by estijane
my plastic latch that holds the glove compartment closed broke..for no apparent reason. I hardly keep anything in the glove compartment..Mini cooper has to replace THE WHOLE BOX for $180...is there anyway to get around this? what a cheap piece to be the part to keep the box closed. thank you
go to car-parts.com and search under BMW mini cooper it searches junkyards in your area
$20 for the entire assembly