General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Glove box lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Default Glove box lid

I posted this on the R50 forum but have received no responses. I have tried repositioning the glove box lid bracket that can be loosened with two hex nuts but that doesn't seem to work.The lid still drops down when I hoit a bump. I'mgoing to put some Velcro strips on the inside of the glove box if there is nothing else I can do. Thanks, Tim

"Got my first ever Mini, a 2003 Cooper.just before Christmas (despite growing up car crazy in the UK). On the way home the glove box lid fell down at every major bump I came across. The amazing thing is that the only other Mini I ever drove was a 1972ish Mini Clubman my mum had in the UK and the glove box lid always seemed to fall down on that too. A nostalgia design piece by BMW perhaps, just like the whine in reverse, but it's starting to get on my nerves and I can only think about my dearly departed mum so many times in one day.

Is there an easy fix for this? I've briefly looked at it and it looks like there is no room for adjusting anything."

Old 02-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Glove box lid

So, having tried to adjust the catch and failed I used some Velcro. This too failed so I emptied the "glovecompartment" of manual, gloves etc. The lid STILL FALLS DOWN WHEN I HIT A BUMP. This is beginning to really be anoyingso I checked thehandbook to see if there was a way to lock it. The manual says "To close; fold the door up" then "To prevent injury in the event of an accident. close the glove compartment immediately after use".

Today, it fell open five times and each time I lent across to close it I could easily have caused an accident. Does anyone have a solution, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM

OMG!!!! I have the SAME exact problem. It is driving me CRAZY!!! I wonder if there is anything that can be done. It has happned 4 times already today. [:@]

Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Hm, I've never had a problem with this. Look how the latch works, maybe you can stick some washers in where it mounts on the bottom to space it upwards. I'll have to go look how it works to come up with a good suggestion.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM

you have the replace the glove box assembly. they retail for around 175 if i'm correct. there are six T15 or maybe T20 torx bits that hold on the box, very easy to do. they come with a new lock also!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MINIofANNAPOLIS

you have the replace the glove box assembly. they retail for around 175 if i'm correct. there are six T15 or maybe T20 torx bits that hold on the box, very easy to do. they come with a new lock also!!!!
175 for a glove box that should work? oh man.

Thanks for the info though

Old 08-30-2008, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mdbsat

ORIGINAL: MINIofANNAPOLIS

175 for a glove box that should work? oh man.

Thanks for the info though

this will work, for some reason these glove box are really cheap in quality. there are 4 or 6 torx screws that hold on the whole assembly.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 PM

I'd spend some time fiddling with it trying to find out why it doesn't latch, as Adam suggested, before I spent that kind of money. What will you be out if you ruin it?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM

my 2005 s mini 's glove compartment broke..the plastic latch broke off. for no apparent reason. Mini cooper charges $180 to fix...they have to replace the whole glove compartment. Mini has definitely taken the cheap way out to make this lock..a 2 cent piece of plastic holds the whole unit in place. I am pissed.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

hit the junkyard for a used one ... car-parts.com search BMW minicooper to find one in your area

Quick Reply: Glove box lid