General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Glove box lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM

I remember a solution that I saw a guy told do on a broken glove box latch on an old beat up VW Rabbit several (actually many) years ago. He was too cheap to buy a new one (my kind of guy). He drilled a hole in the front of the cardboard glove box and attached a small diameter bungee cord to it. He drilled another set of holes on the inside of the glove box door and threaded a piece of wire through to make a loop to attach the other end of the bungee cord. The result was a spring loaded closed glove box door that worked pretty good. Perfect? No (The door wouldn't stay open on it's own, and it slammed shut if you let go). Adequate? Yes. Without class? Absolutely. Clever? Fairly.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Timini
I posted this on the R50 forum but have received no responses. I have tried repositioning the glove box lid bracket that can be loosened with two hex nuts but that doesn't seem to work.The lid still drops down when I hoit a bump. I'mgoing to put some Velcro strips on the inside of the glove box if there is nothing else I can do. Thanks, Tim

"Got my first ever Mini, a 2003 Cooper.just before Christmas (despite growing up car crazy in the UK). On the way home the glove box lid fell down at every major bump I came across. The amazing thing is that the only other Mini I ever drove was a 1972ish Mini Clubman my mum had in the UK and the glove box lid always seemed to fall down on that too. A nostalgia design piece by BMW perhaps, just like the whine in reverse, but it's starting to get on my nerves and I can only think about my dearly departed mum so many times in one day.

Is there an easy fix for this? I've briefly looked at it and it looks like there is no room for adjusting anything."
Try pushing a cube shaped piece of foam runner in the space under the catch on the inside of the glove box catch. This puts upward pressure on the catch which it needs to keep it latched.
Cheers
Autotech

Old 09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Default Glove box lid

hello i want to ask moderator why arent you use the fast reply box because some of forum users suffer from writing image verification. Please think of this thanks...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have NO IDEA what you are asking ...
The Quick reply box below the postworks just fine