General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Got my first mini but it needs service

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Default Got my first mini but it needs service

Hi everyone,
I just got me a 2002 mini and I love it. Just a standard silver with black moonroof. it has the options I wanted like the cc, climate control and upgraded sound system with the controls on the steering wheel (my fav feature).
My odometer panel is telling me that it is past due for a service and I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out which major service it is.
All it says is that I'm past due 2500 miles ( the service light comes on and it displays -2500)
My milage is a little past 52,000.

Is it ready for the brakes or something???

It drives awesome and the brakes work great too. No funny noises from the rotors and the pads look like they still have a lot of life left in them but I haven't taken my wheels off yet to really look at the calipers and everything.

A little about my background. I have three other cars at the moment. A 68 Mustang fastback 302V8, 62 vw Karman Ghia, my daily driver for the past 20 years or so (it has a 1776cc with Dual Dellorto DRLA 40mm carbs, it flies!!!) and a 63 Type 34 Ghia (the European one that was only sold in Europe. Now it's up for sale to pay for my mini) I'm a mechanic as a hobby and work and fix all my cars myself. At least I try to do as much as I can unless I don't have the tools to do it with. An then If I can, I try to get the tools needed to complete the job myself.

So, if anyone can help me figure out what the major services are for a mini I would greatly appreciate it! Also, is there a way to clear the messages that come up? I also have another problem. The other service engine light comes on and goes off on the tach and according to the manual it says that it is something to do with the emissions system but it passed smog when I bought it. Maybe a sensor or something?

Thanks,
John

Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Got my first mini but it needs service

That is Oil Service ... YIKES I'd get that changed ASAP 18,000 miles is WAY too many miles on oil

To reset the oil service indicator, mileage countdown display you must first be at or around 100 miles before service. If you still have many thousands of miles left for oil service this will not work. Simply

1)Push-hold Trip Button (TB)
2)Turn key to position 1
3)Continue to hold (TB), the number 15A will show to the left of the milage
4)Release (TB) for 3 sec and then hold (TB) again
5)In about 5-8 sec RST will show in the left corner
6)Release and then hold again "15000" will show, press and release
7)Car is now reset to the 15,000 service - (has completed 10,000 mile service) and will count down from 15,000.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks for your response. I was thinking it was telling me that I'm due for service inspection #2.
In the manual it says its supposed to say "service engine oil" for oil changes but maybe that was just in the manual and the actual display in the car only says "service engine"
What do you think? I bought oil and filter so I was going to do it today. Is the filter easy to get to? I haven't looked for it yet.
thanks,

John

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM

The filter isn't hard to get to. It is the middle, right over the top of the engine toward the firewall. It is not a self contained unit. it is in a enclosed capsule that you have to unscrew the cap to expose the filter (Like on my old tractor). I think it takes either a 27 MM or 1 3/16 inch wrench (I may be wrong on the sae size). Finding that big a wrench is the hardest part of changing the filter. Fortunately, my '78 BMW Motorcycle has a wrench in it's toolkit for the steering bearing head that fits just fine. I would suggest you try a pawn shop to find a wrench.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 PM

I figured it out and found my drain plug and the filter cover on top near the rear wall. I had a 36mm socket and 1/2 rachet and it worked like a charm. The drain plug was so damn tight. It took a while but I finaly got it to break. Man, some idiot somewhere overtighten it much more than the 18ft pounds it's supposed to be at. My oil was near black! I put fresh 5w30 Castrol full synthetic and a new filter element (Fram, all I could find in my area at a Kragens) Then, I did the instructions to reset as posted by bad venge and they worked like a charm!!!
WOW, she's is purring like a kitten now and my panel looks clean with no messages. I'm so stoked!!!

Thank You Very Much Bad Venge!

John

My Mini is the best car I have ever driven. I love it.
I'll post some pics of my mini soon.