General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help ,Engine managment light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Default Help ,Engine managment light

hope somebody can help please ,, I'm after buying a 2011 cooper s convertible and its putting on the engine management light , the code it put up was p0087 , there are no real symptom's really , car starts first bang and goes well most of the time with no affects , sometimes it throws up a message on the dash saying car has decreased power and go to mini service (high emissions etc.) it drives like there is no turbo then , if you turn the car off and then on again it sometimes clears the dash error and it drives 100% , what I have done , I took it to a local mechanic who plugged it in and it says low pressure at the fuel rail , and there is a misfire at cylinder 1 , he said it could be a few things , clogged fuel filter (turns out its a lifetime gauze in the tank) damaged fuel line faulty injector . I drove the car for another week and the car started to miss , took it back to the mechanic and it turned out that no1 coil pack was faulty (he swapped it to another cylinder and the fault moved to that cylinder) so we though this was maybe the fault , well its put the light on again , I pulled the unit out of the fuel tank and dismantled the gauze on the in tank pump and its not clogged or there is no kinks or blockages on the fuel line under the car .
what now ? I have googled and read as much as I can find and keep seeing high pressure fuel pump being mentioned but the symptom's are not like mine at all , my car never fails to start ,
help please , thanks ken

Old 07-16-2017, 02:26 PM

nobody any ideas ? does anybody know who I could pm or ask ? thanks
also does anybody know , when the car goes into its limp mode (message on the dash saying car has decreased power and go to mini service) does the fuel pressure drop on the fuel rail at the same time ?
first video is in limp mode

2nd video is back on full power again

Last edited by ken68; 07-16-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 AM

Is there no tech guys who want to give me their thoughts ? , thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Alright, so the P code your R57 is throwing:

P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

Your issue may be the HPFP - Test your HPFP. The N18's don't have as many issues with them as the N14 MINI's, however there are reported issues and this code may point to yours being faulty. This article is for an R56, but it shows you how to test it using a diagnostic tool. Look at the last figure in this article: MINI Cooper R56 Fuel Pump Testing (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article.

They're very expensive: 2011 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Fuel System - Page 2.

Call your dealer and ask if yours would be replaced under the extended warranty. It's only for N14's, but I have seen N18 owners get lucky. This thread might help you: HPFP warranty replacement for N18.

Good luck.

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 07-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Alright, so the P code your R57 is throwing:

P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low

Your issue may be the HPFP - Test your HPFP. The N18's don't have as many issues with them as the N14 MINI's, however there are reported issues and this code may point to yours being faulty. This article is for an R56, but it shows you how to test it using a diagnostic tool. Look at the last figure in this article: MINI Cooper R56 Fuel Pump Testing (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article.

They're very expensive: 2011 Mini Cooper S Convertible - Fuel System - Page 2.

Call your dealer and ask if yours would be replaced under the extended warranty. It's only for N14's, but I have seen N18 owners get lucky. This thread might help you: HPFP warranty replacement for N18.

Good luck.
Thanks for replying !!! I have rear your article before with great interest !!
I'm in the uk so don't think the hpfp was ever covered under warrenty here :-(
question please ,, you mention the last article in your link , I presume you are referring to the fuel rail pressure ? I had a live data link connected to her giving me the actual fuel rail pressure , at idle its about 700psi at a mid range rev its about 1500psi so should be about right ? but when my car puts on the eml and you get the error on the screen (low engine power return to service etc etc) the actual pressure drops to 300psi and at a mid rev it drops further to about 60psi !!!!! is this the ecu restricting fuel rail pressure forcing limp mode or is this the pump failing ??
thanks again for your input :-)

Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ken68
Thanks for replying !!! I have rear your article before with great interest !!
I'm in the uk so don't think the hpfp was ever covered under warrenty here :-(
question please ,, you mention the last article in your link , I presume you are referring to the fuel rail pressure ? I had a live data link connected to her giving me the actual fuel rail pressure , at idle its about 700psi at a mid range rev its about 1500psi so should be about right ? but when my car puts on the eml and you get the error on the screen (low engine power return to service etc etc) the actual pressure drops to 300psi and at a mid rev it drops further to about 60psi !!!!! is this the ecu restricting fuel rail pressure forcing limp mode or is this the pump failing ??
thanks again for your input :-)
I'm not sure, but if you leave a comment at the bottom of the tech article I listed above our MINI tech will provide input for you. I still suggest checking out the HPFP in the DME to see what the pump is reading for the rail pressure set point (desired) and rail pressure actual.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM

had the car in with the main bmw/mini dealer today and they have confirmed that it is the hpfp that's faulty , I have ordered one so that should be her sorted ! I'm glad its been confirmed even though its costly but that's life :-)

Old 08-04-2017, 03:46 PM

just to put closure to this topic ,, mini is fixed !!! it was the HPFP , local mechanic fitted a new one today and the car is flying ,,, he did notice that somebody had been messing with it before as one of the bolts was loose and a clip was broken , so my symptom's were completely different from any others I read about online (and I have read a lot of topics) mine was always easy started and never died out !!!! one other thing I only discovered , I had read about when you press the sports button the car would spit and back fire :-) , well mine does now but didn't before , she must have been getting starved of fuel even when the EML wasn't on , thanks anyway and hope this info helps others ! ( paid £490 on ebay for the pump, cheapest I could get)