General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mystery Leaking Fluid, Halp!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Default Mystery Leaking Fluid, Halp!

Hi, great first post here - I also bring greetings from the saab92x boards. the car in question is an 06 cooper s (not mine, my mother's daily driver), which is leaking a mysterious green oily liquid.

Normally a green, oily discharge is something you want to avoid at all costs. No idea where it is coming from, other than under the engine area - slid a piece of cardboard under there, and it was a clean, green, oily substance.

Its not hemorrhaging, just dripping, after the car has warmed up. Not sure if its leaking when cool, but I'll know tomorrow.

I thought it might be the p/s fluid, the manual in the car didn't show the p/s reservoir on the engine layout, and the level looked ok. That's the only fluid I can think of that wouldn't be red, yellow, or amber.

any ideas? I'd like to know, so my mom doesn't end up with either a dead car on the highway or a mechanic that sells her something she doesn't need.

TIA!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by saab92xer
Hi, great first post here - I also bring greetings from the saab92x boards. the car in question is an 06 cooper s (not mine, my mother's daily driver), which is leaking a mysterious green oily liquid.

Normally a green, oily discharge is something you want to avoid at all costs. No idea where it is coming from, other than under the engine area - slid a piece of cardboard under there, and it was a clean, green, oily substance.

Its not hemorrhaging, just dripping, after the car has warmed up. Not sure if its leaking when cool, but I'll know tomorrow.

I thought it might be the p/s fluid, the manual in the car didn't show the p/s reservoir on the engine layout, and the level looked ok. That's the only fluid I can think of that wouldn't be red, yellow, or amber.

any ideas? I'd like to know, so my mom doesn't end up with either a dead car on the highway or a mechanic that sells her something she doesn't need.

TIA!
if it is your P/S the reservoir is against the firewall directly behind the oil cap but im betting its either the t-stat or the water pump ... on the S models those leaking are common issues and will leak a grenish oil fluid ( coolant ) ... how many miles on the car