General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie; Convertible leak, pass side door, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Default Newbie; Convertible leak, pass side door, 2007

Ok, so I am new to the Mini scene (well this time around, used to have them back in the 70's!), so I bought this Cooper convertible, 2007, and when it rains it pours in from the upper lip of the side passenger window area and just floods the floor.
The first time it was a major shower, so I thought ok, but then it was raining lightly and the same thing happened.....bugger.
I did check the rubber gasket along the window pillar that actually has a water passage channel inside of it, along with the gasket along the top of the windshield surround. what else to look for?
I placed a sheet of paper between the top and the windshield frame to see if one side was tighter than the other and it was a little looser on the pass leaky side.
Can you adjust how tight the top closes, or maybe how much the locking mechanism pulls the top and the frame together?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, regards....Ian

Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Guys, am I doing this wrong? No suggestions or help of any kind, what do I need to do to get help?
Thx.....Ian. The craztbrit

Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 PM

I used to have a similar problem on a Miata. Ther should be weep (drain?) holes located in the rubber molding (gasket) on each side. I would try to snake a wire ( #14 ga - stranded electrical wire is good) down the drain tube. As a precaution, wrap a little electrical tape on the tip of the wire so it doesn't get "hung" up. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 PM

I tried that and it was clear n didn't help. Thx for the suggestion tho.
The final fix was to put some Popsicle sticks behind the rubber moulding and some very thin hard foam rubber that had adhesive on one side that would contact the window, this cured the leaks and when finished looked like a normal part of the car.
This was an 07 model, I just replaced that car with an 09 and upgraded to a 6-speed S model Vs an auto. What a build quality upgrade, less rattles, much improved trunk closure / sealing ability (oh, the 07 had a terrible leak in there to that I could never fix, although the upper rubber seal / trim piece had deteriated some, the two trim pieces would have been over $260 at dealer cost and no assurances that it would have corrected the issue, plus the gas mileage was terrible on the CVT trans, very dissapointing, so I figured that I may as well have some fun, so an S model 6-speed is much better on gas as well, a nice upgrade).
The final straw was getting a code #71, passenger occupancy sensor fault and the crazy cost to correct that. We did interrogate the cars computer to try and disable that part of the system, but it didn't work unfortunately, so I sold the car for $4-6k behind normal retail value, the new buyer was happy and didn't care about the airbag lite that was on.