General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sunroof drain clogging

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Default sunroof drain clogging

2008 mini cooper, passenger side sunroof drain is clogged and I cannot figure out how to unclog without disassembling, suggestions?

Last edited by pmd1958@live.com; 06-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

low pressure air? have you inspected the track for debris?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Default 2006 Mini Cooper S sunroof Drain Problem - water in floorboard

I have a a 2006 Mini Cooper S with less than 12,000 miles on it. We noticed one day when it was raining that water was leaking into the passenger floor-board area down the passenger side front door pillar. We took it to the local Mini dealer for analysis. Their finding: the sunroof drain is either blocked, broken, or has come loose. Their estimate to repair is over $1,000. They have to remove the headliner, and could break some clips on the moulding, which have airbags behind them, so, $300 of the $1,000 is potential parts.

I have had, and still have Japanese vehicles (Lexus, Nissan) with high mileage (80,000 - 299,000 miles) and have never had an issue like this before. These cars just do not leak.

I called Mini customer relations, and they came back saying that my warranty was up and that there was nothing else that they could do. So much for "Let's go motoring". They should change the slogan to "let's go motoring as long as it isn't raining".

This is my first experience with a Mini/BMW vehicle. And, it is most likely my last. My wife really likes the Mini, which is why I bought it for her. However, she is now very disappointed as well.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with water leaking into the drivers compartment? Has anyone had this service on the sunroof drain? If so, what was the experience? Is it normal for these cars to experience these types of problems?

I have never had a car leak in the interior before. I am disappointed in the car, the service department, and Mini customer relations for not taking more ownership of this issue. Buyers beware. These vehicles may be fun to drive, and have a nice look, but I expect more from a car that only has 12,000 miles on it. be reedy to shell out some serious cash for repairs.

Your thoughts and responses to this post are appreciated.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 AM

My wife's 06 with 21000 miles has the same problem. Called the dealer, cost to fix the leak is about $300.00. Guess its going to the dealer, I'll take the vaseline

Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Default 2006 Mini Cooper S Drain Problem Fixed

Ha! I fixed the m on my own and saved $1,000. How?
1. I carefully pulled off part of of the rubber gasket on the passenger side door frame. I only pulled off the gasket from the front door pillar, the top of the door, and part of the gasket on the rear side of the door frame. The gasket is slotted, and fits snuggly on top the a ridge area, so it is easy to pull off. You don't need to take it off all of the way. Just enough to work on the roof top area of the headliner.

2. There are 2 caps, covering 2 screws on the passenger side vanity/visor. I used a very, very, very thin screwdriver to pop off the covers (do it on the wider side of the cap). Once off, I unscrewed the 2 screws holding the visor. I left the other side that holds the visor in place so the visor didn't fall down. When you take out the 2nd screw the visor end will drop down. There will be an electrical connection in place. I did not disconnect it.

3. Very carefully I pulled out the edges of the headcover, sliding over the front pillar. Be careful as there are air bags on the top. Do not use any tools, and do not touch the airbags. I was able to pull the headcover down enough on the front pillar side to see the problem (there is a rubber-flexible-accordian like hose that is supposed to be attached to a fixed plastic tube that runs from the top of the pillar to the outside of the car-just behind the front tire). I reached in with my fingers and was able to re-attach the flexible hose to the plastic hose.

4. I then reversed the above steps. I called my wife and told her the fabulous news. She was elated, and gave me another project to work on. Oh well!

I saved $1000 bucks doing this myself. The Mini service people had to know that this was the problem. Very dissappointing.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 AM

MiniTenn, you are the Man!

Guess the Mini Cooper ( BMW ) doesn't want to fess up to any recall's.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 AM

Nice Information.Thanks.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Angry Need help or some advice leaky sunroof/electical problems

I have been looking for a solution to a problem with a leaky sunroof and electrical problems that have resulted from the leak.

The problem started after realizing the sunroof had leaked and found water pooled up on the floor. On top of the apparent leak electrical problems are now present, i.e. lights will stay on and other electical components do not work, signal lights, tach, etc.

The Mini is a 2003 Cooper. Bought the car from my brother and have put thousands into it, don't ever by from a relative. I have replaced the tranny and clutch to name a few things.

When I contacted the dealer, they said they had never heard of leak and
electrical problems. When I questioned further they admitted they had heard of such problems, but were very rare. Yeah right.

My questions are has anyone dealt with similar problems and if so how do I go about it? The leak sounds like it could be some what simple to fix, but the electrical problems are the major concern. No one in my area wants to touch it and I live 100 miles from the dealer who is located in the Twin Cities. As of right now the car just sits there and I have about given up. I can't sell it, and have had inquiries, but can't tell them what is exactly wrong and what I would sell it for. If I could get it fixed for a somewhat reasonable cost I would consider keeping it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, ideas, advice etc that they could give me before I have the car compacted and dropped off in the dealers lot.

Last edited by guzzi2000; 05-10-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: post as new
Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Check the to cassette where the water drains in the corners. Sunroof drain tubes. They can clog with debris and such. There are two in the front and two in the rear. #10 and #11 in pics.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51738197504/ #10

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/54107043425/ES156702/ #11

Also if they are clean and look ok the drain tube might be leaking. You have to get behind the headliner and A pillars to see.

Click Here for how to: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...of-drains.html

Next since you have electrical probelms sometimes the BMC module will get wet and cause problem. Its looks like this and is located in the front lower panel near where the water drained down.

Thant sounds like you problems, fix the drains on the roof and then check the BCM. Body Control Model ( Hardtop ).

This one is for the R53 and R50 First Gen Hardtops.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/61356982114/ES169198/

Thanks and hope that helps.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 05-10-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM

Thank you. That helped clarify a lot for me. With the info you were able to show me and the Bentley service manual I purchased I should be able to get a plan together. Might even be able to get the Mini on the road again.

Quick Reply: sunroof drain clogging