General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sunroof drain clogging

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Sponsor

You are welcome,

Let me know if your need anymore parts.

We are here to help.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Any updates?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Ok, I got the body control module and plugged it in and most electrical problems seem to be corrected. However instrument lights and the tachometer are not working, also when I turn the engine off the brake lights come on. Any idea what I should do next?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Did you get a new one or a used one? I don't think a used one can be reprogrammed. A new one like linked above has to be programmed by MINI or someone who is can do it, to work properly.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM

I bought a new one from ECS. Does the bcm have anything to do with the instrument
and the tach not working? The brake lights either stay on or go through a series of blinking, it has been so long since I have driven the Mini I have forgotten how it ran when it was running correctly. Thanks for reminding me about the reprogramming, I'm
trying to avoid having to use the dealer. They are 100 miles away and I have a trust
issue with them. Any info you can give me in regards to the tach and instrument lights is appreciated. If you have contact with Rob at ECS, tell him thanks, he made purchasing the bcm easy.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Sponsor

You are welcome, The BCM will need programmed first. I would recommenced the reprogram as it does control the lighting throughout the MINI. The system does touch allot of other electronics. Then you can narrow down the other problems, but most likely they are linked.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Default 2003 MINI Cooper S Estimate $17,000 repair

For sunroof drain tube failure.

The entire electrical system has to be replaced, because of massive flooding, due to extreme rain this spring, because of the FAULTY DESIGN of this sunroof drainage system.

WHY HASN'T MINI UK or MINI USA, done a recall on this OBVIOUS BAD DESIGN.

I'm very sad because I really loved the smile factor of driving the mini. I have had in to CINCINNATI MINI for non-start issues in the past, but they didn't even think to check this out. I did see some water in the boot, but DID NOT THINK it was anything related to the A Pillar, sunroof drain tube separation. MY CAR IS NOT DRIVABLE, WILL NOT START.

There was a very nice pre-owned MINI Convertible for @ $17,000! This 2003 MINI is not "worth" that as a trade in or resale. (Trade-in @ $3500, resale @ $7000 according to Edmunds.com).

So, BLU MINI is back home waiting for someone special to either fix it up for me or to buy it from me to see what they can do to get it up and running.

The independent engineer, the insurance company had take a look at it, said that the engine is in FINE WORKING ORDER, in fact, everything is in fine working order except for the electrical, and I am certain that there is a way to get the "carpet/road noise barrier" clean and fresh, as well as the upholstery.

The particulars: 2003 MINI COOPER S, "Electric Blue, with white top," in color rally lights, rally stripes, have custom Hawaiian themed seat covers for it. Blue and black leather seats.

If you know of anyone who can help me out with repairs that are a bit more reasonable than $17K, please have them contact me, via "pm" on Facebook, FB search "Liz Pfirrmann Coombe" i'm also on twitter @BarebowLizard

Last edited by Liz Coombe; 08-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:33 PM

See my post for the cost for a dealer to do it!

You and I are in the same boat

Originally Posted by guzzi2000
I have been looking for a solution to a problem with a leaky sunroof and electrical problems that have resulted from the leak.

The problem started after realizing the sunroof had leaked and found water pooled up on the floor. On top of the apparent leak electrical problems are now present, i.e. lights will stay on and other electical components do not work, signal lights, tach, etc.

The Mini is a 2003 Cooper. Bought the car from my brother and have put thousands into it, don't ever by from a relative. I have replaced the tranny and clutch to name a few things.

When I contacted the dealer, they said they had never heard of leak and
electrical problems. When I questioned further they admitted they had heard of such problems, but were very rare. Yeah right.

My questions are has anyone dealt with similar problems and if so how do I go about it? The leak sounds like it could be some what simple to fix, but the electrical problems are the major concern. No one in my area wants to touch it and I live 100 miles from the dealer who is located in the Twin Cities. As of right now the car just sits there and I have about given up. I can't sell it, and have had inquiries, but can't tell them what is exactly wrong and what I would sell it for. If I could get it fixed for a somewhat reasonable cost I would consider keeping it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, ideas, advice etc that they could give me before I have the car compacted and dropped off in the dealers lot.