General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Throttle lag when not in sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Default Throttle lag when not in sport mode?

I'm a new owner (2010 Clubman S Auto), so not sure if this is normal or not. When not using the Sport button, there is often a delay between pressing the pedal and initial acceleration. It seems worse if I'm on a slight roll. The lag insipires me to push the pedal a bit more, at which time the car takes off in a rush. Just wondering if this is normal. Again, it's not present when engaging the Sport mode button. BTW...I installed a Sprint Booster to address it. It's a fun add on, but it just sort of masks the problem by making overall throttle response curve of the pedal more aggressive.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM

I drive an 02 S Manual and when I press the accelerator down I to have a bit of a delay when I take off now I press the accelerator down a bitt before I take off, and when I take the DSC off it seems to be less noticeable..

Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 AM

I just bought my 2010 S Auto and it does the exact same thing. There is another guy at my work that has the same on his 2010 S auto. We kind of researched it and found out that it is called Turbo Lag. Somehow, when in Sport mode it doesn't happen. With what we found it seems that the turbo does not always work for economy purposes but when sport button is engaged it is always on. I'm not sure that I am right on this so if someone more knowledgeable wants to chime in it will not hurt my feelings. I did want to let you know that it does do the same thing on at least 2 other 2010 models though. I have gotten over it and love to drive it. By the way, what is a sprint booster?
Gary

Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know it seems to be normal. The delayed turbo engagement when not in sport certainly sounds logical to me. n5zhm, to answer your question about Sprint Booster...it's an electrical device that plugs in at the gas peddal (very easy installation). It adjusts the pedal's signal so that you get more gas for the distance you press the pedal. It is fun and a kind of cool add on, but does not eliminate the turbo delay...just sort of masks it a bit, a least in my case. You can check it out at sprintboostersales.com (or just google them).

Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Thats a good question? What is a Sprint Booster?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM

fleazilla:

Sprint Booster is an electrical device that plugs in at the gas peddal (very easy installation). It adjusts the pedal's signal so that you get more gas for the distance you press the pedal. It is fun and a kind of cool add on, but does not eliminate the turbo delay...just sort of masks it a bit, a least in my case. You can check it out at sprintboostersales.com (or just google them).

BTW...did either of you guys run this by the mechanic/dealer? I haven't (only at about 1500 Mi) but will I think when I go in...which I hope is not for a while.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Default hesitation in acceleration

I have a 2006 mini s and it is doing the same thing....kinda scares me when im pulling out in traffic.....

Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Default New Theory...

I'm the OP and I have a new theory on this I'd like to throw out. That is that the "problem" is not throttle lag at all, but rather shift or transmission engagement lag. What started me thinking this was my Sprint Booster installation. The Sprint Booster is marketed specifically to solve this problem by making the movement of the gas peddal more sensitive (more gas per inch as it were). But ever since I installed it, my impression has been that it more masked the problem than solved it, and even made it worse in some ways. For example, with SB engaged, when I accelerate from a rolling stop, the lag is shorter, but when I do get going, there is even more of a lurch than if the TB is not engaged (The same thing happens when you are accelerating after turning a 90 degree corner). So now what I think is happening (in non-sport mode) is that the tranny is being very conservative in either downshifting, or simply re-engaging the clutch. What do you all think of my theory?

BTW...I recently discovered that if you put the manumatic into manual, but do not shift, the car simply stays in automatic sport mode...juut as if you had pushed the button. So now if I need instant response, I throw the stick over and go sport auto, then once I'm done, throw it back. It's turned out to be a pretty good work around for this issue, at least for me. Unfortunately, I also think I wasted a hunk of cash on the SB

Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Default Transmission Lag

I also noticed that the transmission plays a part in the lag. It seems that if I stop at a red light and set there a minute or so, the lag is either barely noticable or non existent. If I pull up to a yield sign where I barely stop or slow down to a crawl it really pauses and then lurches. Sometimes I also notice the pause/surge when I turn a 90 degree corner especially if I am coming off a highway where I was going 65 mph or so.

Gary/n5zhm

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM

EXACTLY! Now the big question...is this normal, or can it be adjusted out do you think?

Quick Reply: Throttle lag when not in sport mode?