General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Throttle lag when not in sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM

My wife has a 2009 clubman S with the same throttle delay issues. The Dealer says this is normal... It may be normal, but its not acceptable. This is not only a performance issue, it's a safety issue!!! Has anyone had this problem fixed? Has BMW acknowledged the problem???

Last edited by 1951rdc; 09-28-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Ditto that question. I'd love to get it fixed. I'm going to bring it up with the dealer, but they are in the next town, and it will be a while before I really need to have it in for regular service.

Meantime, I find myself driving mostly in manual mode because it doesn't do it at long as you are manually shifting. The more time I spend with it, the more I am convinced this is all about the shifting and not the throttle at all. For example, try this....leave it it regular auto mode (not sport), come to a rolling stop, then shift manually with the paddles to put it in gear 1 or 2 before accelerating away. If I do that, the problem does not exist. It is not a great work around however since you will need to remember to continue to shift manually up the next couple gears since auto mode takes about 7 seconds to re-engage.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Unhappy Accelerator Lag

I have just bought a new automatic mini cooper from Herb Chambers in Boston. I have had exactly the same problem; try to pull out in traffic and you have no idea when the car is going to go. Nothing happens and tehn it surges forward. Dangerous and unnerving. I even switched to Sport mode and had the same problem.
I asked the dealership to fix it and they said it was within spec. I asked whether anyone else is having these problems and they said they get a complaint every six months. I now go on line and find that mini has had this problem for years. I have seen it mentioned in 2001 minis. Why has nothing been done about it? Truly amazing.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Unhappy Throttle Lag

I bought a Cooper in January 2011 and I have exactly the same problem. Herb Chambers of Boston sold it to me. They claim it is "normal", but it is clearly dangerous. I find driving the car in traffic unnerving at best. When i set off at a junction, I am never sure when it is going to go.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Well, I'm still living with it on my 2010 Clubman S Auto. I have installed the Alta Access Port since my last post, which has incidentally helped a bit I think. Interestingly, my sister in law has a VW CC (about a 2009 I think) that sounded like it had the same problem. VW ended up issuing a recall on it. In that case, it was a hardware repair issue, not just programming.