MCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with MCF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better MCF? Tell us here.

Several Issues - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Exclamation Several Issues - Help!

Hey all,

Super happy to be a part of the mini community. I've always wanted one of these cars. I recently picked up a 2010 mini cooper s that needs a quite a bit of work. I've worked on and restored cars my entire life so I have some good knowledge of them, but these modern cars always throw me for a loop. I'd like to see what you all think.

There are a few issues I've discovered so far but this is my main concern. The car idles extremely low and runs really rough- worst I've ever seen. Needs throttle manipulation to stay afloat. The car has 1.5 year old gas in it so I'm going to add some seafoam to it, I'd prefer not to drop the tank if possible. Any ideas on why its running so bad? Injectors gummed up? I was told by the guy I got it from that it ran great before he parked it 1.5 years ago.

Another issue is that the radio turns on but the volume is totally unresponsive. Everything else seems to function great. The sunroof also opens but won't shut- it closes a bit then returns like something got in the way. I have it on a battery charger whenever I try this and the battery holds enough juice to start the car. I'm hoping its just a bad fuse but that's probably too wishful.

Other than that I just need a new motor mount, rear control arms, a new passenger window (guy was weedwhacking next to it and put a rock through it), and new tires and I'll have a fun little ride. I'll post a picture of it here soon, interior and exterior look brand new excluding one headlight chrome ring.

Super excited to talk to and get to know you all, and thank you in advance for your input!

Sincerely,
BillyDavNav

Old 07-16-2021, 02:23 AM
Default Welcome

Get a bottle of octane booster and a bottle of injection cleaner,put them in the tank,fill the tank with the highest octane fuel you can buy,take it for a drive at town speed for about 20 miles,then do some enjoyment driving,should sort the issue,sun roof rails may have become dry,use a little wd40 and run the roof a few times.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nzr56coopers
Get a bottle of octane booster and a bottle of injection cleaner,put them in the tank,fill the tank with the highest octane fuel you can buy,take it for a drive at town speed for about 20 miles,then do some enjoyment driving,should sort the issue,sun roof rails may have become dry,use a little wd40 and run the roof a few times.
Thank you for the response! Unfortunately they filled the tank before letting it sit 😬 I also need a motor mount before it is drivable, the engine rocks way too bad in the engine bay. I'll try that on the roof and get back to you! Thank you!

Old 07-17-2021, 04:34 AM

Dumb people fill the tank and leave it sit,try dropping the fuel line and catching the stale fuel to discard,if you can get 50%out should work till you can run the tank down to reserve and repeat the process,the other way is put a tube of plastic in the tank and old school syphon the fuel out.keep me posted please

Old 07-17-2021, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nzr56coopers
Dumb people fill the tank and leave it sit,try dropping the fuel line and catching the stale fuel to discard,if you can get 50%out should work till you can run the tank down to reserve and repeat the process,the other way is put a tube of plastic in the tank and old school syphon the fuel out.keep me posted please
Well I found the problem...

Put it up on the lift and the block is cracked. And I mean cracked cracked. There's a chunk they held in with jb weld. I think I'm just gonna part it out. Thank you though!

Old 07-17-2021, 03:01 PM

Sorry to hear that,can you not find a replacement motor cheap.