New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbroken and stupid!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Default Heartbroken and stupid!!!!

Well, this is not the way I wanted to start my first day of Mini ownership. Upon taking delivery of my Mini I immediately drove it home to show my wife. I pulled up my driveway and stopped the car and went in the house to get my wife. As she was heading for the door she yells the car is moving down the driveway (The driveway is downhill to the street). I go flying towards the car but it is picking up speed as it is now going backwards down the driveway and now heading across the lawn (Thank God!), but heading straight for a grove of trees. You can guess what happened next. Yup it slams into a tree at the left rear taillight. So now the bumper is smashed and the rear quarter panel is pushed in, but the lights still work( I only broke the clear housing). I must have missed the rear hatch by a 1/4 inch cause not even a scratch on it.THIS IS ONE TOUGH LITTLE CAR!!!!

I feel so stupid!!! It has been over 10 years since my last manual transmission and I got out of the habit of using the parking brake. Dang it I'm a car nut and should know better, but I was so excited and couldn't wait to start driving and playing with my new toy and the automatic transmission habits hasn't been broken yet.

The good news is that only the car and the tree are damaged. BTW - The trunk of the tree split open like a wishbone, and this tree is about 10" across, and did not go out into the street. My wife said, had the car gone straight out into the street there was a car the would have either t-boned the car or the car would have t-boned it and god only knows what could have happend or who would have been hurt.

I called the dealership and told themI probably set a record for shortest length of ownership with an accident (even though I wasn't even in the car), but they said they one had a guy who didn't even get out of the parking lot before he drove into a concrete island in his new Honda S2000. So at least I feel good about that. LOL

I hope my future posts are more positive than this one, but I'm still happy I got me a Mini!!!!

Cheers.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Heartbroken and stupid!!!!

what is your insurance company doing about this?