New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key/fob replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 08:24 AM
Default Key/fob replacement cost

I just bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S convertible (R52) and it came with only one key/fob. Mini of Omaha say it will cost me $410 for a new one. $200 for the key/fob and then $210 to program it. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative?

Old 08-16-2022, 11:23 AM

I never needed to do this for my Mini (R52 2006) but I imagine it's the same as any other car.
Firstly, my key fob does not lock or unlock anything. I tried to replace the battery but gave up on that. It didn't work. So I lock and unlock the car from the driver door lock. Being a rag top I don't usually bother locking it since a pen knife can get you in.
That being said I don't think there is a transponder involved which means that you should be able to get a key made anywhere that makes keys for cars. Some of these places can make keys with transponders too.
If you can get a key or two made BUT a transponder is needed and you have a key that does work, you could hide that key under the dash, in effect letting the keys without transponders work.
I love my 2006 but I'd do this hack before investing hundreds of dollars into a convenience. As far a locks go, a lock is a device to keep honest people honest. If a car thief wants your 15 year old car, no key or lock is going to stop him.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right about the transponder. The car did have in the owners manual folder what I would call a spare or emergency key. It looks to be made out of plastic of some sort and is so thin that I don't see how a transponder could be imbedded in it. It unlocks the door and starts the engine. It also unlocks the glove box so I know it is not intended to be a valet key.It just doesn't look very durable, and a regular key would be preferred for a spare. I asked about getting just a key made (no remote buttons) and Mini still wants $200, and after proving that the car really is mine, it would have to be ordered from Germany!
I may try to find a locksmith willing to cut a key just to see if it would work.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:06 PM

I would call some locksmiths and ask them, if you have a blank, can they laser cut the key. I found this one on Amazon. The link doesn't work through the forum but this is what it's called on Am-zon.
"Kaling replacement remote key shell key fob cover compatible for BMW Mini Cooper Replacement for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, R50, R53"
It has no guts and the buttons don't look they line up to my key (the year is wrong) BUT the metal part (the "key") looks right. Yours is probably the same. It's a $13.00 item that could save you hundreds plus it can be returned to Amazon if it doesn't match. If you try it, let me and others on this forum know.

Last edited by jerryp; 08-16-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:31 PM

Further search on Am-zon came up with this. "Dudely Replacement Key for Mini Cooper 2005 2006 2007 315/433 MHz Car Remote" I may get inspired to see if I can find a locksmith who can cut it. It would be nice to have a working fob for cheap. Same with the other - free returns if it doesn't work but one of the frequencies should.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:58 AM

I think that I've probably been to the same sites. Lots of Mini keys for a wide range of prices. I'm setting out today to query local locksmiths about at least laser cutting the key if I provide it. Mini of Seattle has fairly priced keys on their web site but I haven't heard back from them as to whether they can also include the correct immobilizer chip if necessary. It looks like I can program the lock/unlock remote fob myself.
I'll post any progress that I make here.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:02 AM

I gave up on the idea of buying a key off of Amazon knowing that it would probably be good only for locking/unlocking the door, and never starting the engine. I settled on MINI of Seattle, and am very satisfied that I did. From them I got a key/fob cut and mated to my MINI with simple instructions on programming the door locks. Works like a charm. Total cost was $179. Pricey I know but less than half of what my local MINI dealer wanted. Also, I want to add that MINI of Seattle provided great customer service. They sent me notifications on every step of the process and I had a working key in my hands in only 5 days.