New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

MINI Cooper R50 - red, black roof, fun to drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Default MINI Cooper R50 - red, black roof, fun to drive

Hi guys,

I'm new here, so here is my short story with MINI
The first MINI I had for a spin was a 2008 MINI Clubman Cooper S and that was the moment when I decided to have a MINI in this life.

In 2013 I bought a 2002 MINI Cooper R50 from Germany and imported in Romania, my home country.

From all 400 cars I drove in my life, I still think the MINI is the best FWD car to drive in this world

I am the founder and owner of ThrottleChannel.com - automotive encyclopedia and digital automotive museum.

My car is this one: MINI Cooper acceleration - ThrottleChannel.com

Other MINI cars I had for a spin are here: MINI Archives - ThrottleChannel.com

I have some problems with some vibrations under hard acceleration with my car. I hope to find the solution browsing the forum. I have rebuilt the gearbox (Midland) and changed all the engine mounts (4 pieces). I also filled with grease the drive shafts tripod area. The wobble was considerably reduced, but it's still there. Maybe one of the driveshaft axles is bended... I really don't know.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Welcome! Great looking R50. Some people have been able to trace vibrations down to the lower control arm bushings being bad or a bad axle shaft. Check over your suspension components for wear. If your lower control arm bushings are bad, replace them with Powerflex bushings HERE. They will help not only the performance and engagement of your MINI, but are ultimately more cost efficient as they will last much longer. If bushings and suspension components look good, it may be hard to determine it's the axle until you replace it. Good luck, Adrian. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, PelicanParts.com!
I changed those bushings 2 years ago, they were wasted. Inexistent. All the joints and dampers are in super condition right now, the engine mounts too, so the last thing to check is the driveshaft(s).
I will try to have mine inspected or change them with ones from a friend's car. It is a lot of work, but, at least, I won't buy new or remanufactured driveshafts without actually solving the problem

Thank you again!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by AdrianTC
Thanks for the reply, PelicanParts.com!
I changed those bushings 2 years ago, they were wasted. Inexistent. All the joints and dampers are in super condition right now, the engine mounts too, so the last thing to check is the driveshaft(s).
I will try to have mine inspected or change them with ones from a friend's car. It is a lot of work, but, at least, I won't buy new or remanufactured driveshafts without actually solving the problem

Thank you again!
That's a good idea. Also, be sure to check the wheels and make sure that none of them are bent, even slightly. If swapping the axles doesn't fix your issue be sure to report back and let us know. You're welcome and good luck!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks!
All 8 rims (summer and winter) were reconditioned (electrostatic painted), fitted new tires and well equilibrated. Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 195/55 R16 (summer) and Riken Snowtime B2, same size, for winter (no run on flats, they are super expensive for this car/size!)

That's why all my thoughts goes to driveshafts...