New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

minis & child seats advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Default minis & child seats advice needed

Hi-
I'm a 33 yr old mom of a two girls. Ages 4 and 1. My current car is a 1999 Olds Cutlass that I've had for the last 8 years. I've had a hard time finding a car that I love but isn't the same car that everyone in my town drives. I want something unique.
I live in VERY rural western Kansas and drive 15 miles to work every day - one way. Obviously fuel efficiency is top priority.
I fell in love with Mini's when they came out in the move "the Italian Job" a few years back. And have continued to love and admire them. I have not yettest drove a mini.The closest dealership is 3 hours away in Denver Colorado. I was wondering if anyone knew how the backseat would handle 2child car seats. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to wait until both children are old enough to not only crawl into their seat, but also buckle themselves in. As, I think I would have toaboutstand on my head to get them in.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Default RE: minis & child seats advice needed

I contemplated a MINI too when my kids were the same age and decided against it. A 4 yo could probably be in a high-back booster, but the 1 year old would still need to be rear-facing. Rear facing isn't going to work on the back unless you put the rear facing on the passenger side and even then I'm not sure where you'd be able to anchor the top (you may be able to find a way). It's doubtful you could ever put a passenger in the front.

My kids are 4 and 7 now and I've got my 2009 MCS on order - praying for Nov delivery.

If you make the trip out - you should definitely test drive one and either take the seats with you or measure...you never know.

On the positive side...by the time your kids are as old as mine now, they could have an electric MINI in mass production :-)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4215495.html

Best of luck!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Default RE: minis & child seats advice needed

My experience with kids and 2 door cars are that pretty soon you areready to get rid of one or the other, regardless of brand. I do think technically the rear seats can handle the car seats, and have the appropriate built-in attachments. Maybea Clubman would work better for you?